Using the line clip?

Randalicous

Hi.

Ive read many times that accurate casting includes using the line clip on the reel to find the same distance every cast. I understand that. But what I dont want are my rods pulled in.

If I use the line clip, initialy to lay a lot of bait, then cast out the hook bait with it, I want to take the line out the clip to allow it to run should I get a bite. How do I find the exact distance/part of the line I was clipping in the first place so as to cast out my next hook bait on the same spot I had been fishing.

Am I missing something really obvious here. Your methods are appreciated..

Steve.

Hi.

Ive read many times that accurate casting includes using the line clip on the reel to find the same distance every cast. I understand that. But what I dont want are my rods pulled in.

If I use the line clip, initialy to lay a lot of bait, then cast out the hook bait with it, I want to take the line out the clip to allow it to run should I get a bite. How do I find the exact distance/part of the line I was clipping in the first place so as to cast out my next hook bait on the same spot I had been fishing.

Steve.

The way to do it is to mark the line with something. Once you've found your spot and clipped up, tie a short length of light pole elastic (until this season I was using bits of braid, but they become permanent features!) next to the line clip. Once you've cast out, take the line out of the clip and fish normally. To recast, clip it back up where the elastic is.

Tie it nice and tight (I use a 4 turn water knot) so it doesn't slip, otherwise you'll be clipping up at the wrong distance!

The good thing about the pole elastic is that with a bit friction you can get rid of it at the end of a session. Also, it's worth asking in tackle shops if they've got any old bits lying around that they don't want (works best if you're buying some stuff too :D )

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I do it completely different. If you cut a small (2-3") piece of LOW B.S. nylon and clip onto one side of the line clip. Cast your line in to where you want to and then clip the other end of the loose line into the other side of the clip.

You now have your line 'clipped up'.

If a big fish takes your line, the clip line will snap or unclip!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

How do I find the exact distance/part of the line I was clipping in the first place so as to cast out my next hook bait on the same spot I had been fishing.

Steve.

It's not a method I use very often but if I do need to mark the line I use Tippex, it won't stay on forever and you will probably have to re-mark it a couple of times during a session (depends how often you cast I suppose) but it dries very quickly.

A combination of the two is what I use. Cast out to find your distance. Now tie a small tag of bright red/yellow braid on to your line as a marker. This bright stuff is on sale in tackle shops. This should be positioned at the butt ring.

Use the line clip when you cast out. After casting out, remove the line from the clip and loop a short bit of pole elastic round the line and into the clip. This will pull out on a take. If you need to recast without having had a bite, then remove elastic, clip up, and wind in. You are now ready to recast.

Sounds much more complicated than it is :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic