Rods

Craig Robins

For a while now i have wanted to get into fly fishing because fishing for Roach, Crap etc. is getting a bit boring, but i cant find any rods and even if i did i wouldnt know which one was right for me. Im 14 and have been fishing for about 6 months. I want a rod which i will be able to take to Lanzarote as they catch big fish on flys. Any reccomendations?

Craig, what do you want to catch with your fly rod ?

Trout, pike, salmon,sea fish ?

You mention Lanzarote, what "big fish" are you referring to ?

A bit more information needed, Mate. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Craig, A Pike/Saltwater Fly Rod will be about 9ft long and made for line weight 8/9 or 9/10.

This is what you would ask for when you go into the Tackle Shop.

However, I don,t think you will find one for under £30.00. The cheapest I have seen have been over £70.00.

Perhaps you should think again.

If you really want to try fly fishing, either save up for the Pike/Salt Rod, or look for a trout water near you, buy a days fishing and hire their equipment.

This will give you some idea, if it is something you want to carry on with.

I,m still not sure what you are going to catch in the sea off Lanzarote with a fly rod.

The only thing I have seen there that take lures, are tuna and they were so few, that I wouldn,take a rod all that way to try to catch one.

The charter boat I went on, had all the equipment you needed, included in the trip price.

Best of luck. :)

[ 18. November 2002, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Cranfield ]

Craig, that combo is suitable for line weight 6/7, which ,in my opinion, is too light for pike or sea fly fishing.

As I said ,you should be looking for 9/10 weight.

I have looked on a number of sites and I cannot find any combo to the specification you require, under £100.

You may have to resign yourself to saving up your money, unless someone else has any suggestions. :)

I'd be looking for at least a 9# more likely a 10#.

I tried with my 10ft 8# and casting the big flies was almost impossible on this setup. Look for a cheap pike setup and take it from there. 9-9 1/2ft too.

quote:

Originally posted by Cranfield:

I,m still not sure what you are going to catch in the sea off Lanzarote with a fly rod.

The only thing I have seen there that take lures, are tuna and they were so few, that I wouldn,take a rod all that way to try to catch one.

The charter boat I went on, had all the equipment you needed, included in the trip price.

Best of luck. :) [/QB]

Garfish, mackerel and horse mackerel amongst others.....but make sure you fish a single fly!

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..