Boat Fishing

Castle Teejay

The fishings good up here. I fish out of Redcar straight off the beach in my boat, don't forget to stock up with shads as they're a top catcher when the water fines down and the fresh dissapears , summer shad fishing with light line tactics is a favourite of mine

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fishing the Hartlepool ground last year and hooked a small ling of about 3-4lb. I got the fish a couple of rod lengths off the bottom when it was grabbed by something much bigger. Bang bang bang, then nothing. When I got the small ling to the surface it was shredded. I pressed the MOB button on the gps and drifted the spot a few times but that was my only encounter with the mystery fish. It was probably another ling, but porbeagle sharks are known to frequent this area.

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Jelliy worms, outperforming shads, especially on a small tide.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Barry i find worms usually outfish shads for pollock but not for cod i first got onto shads quite a few years ago when 1 guy booked the whole boat for himself he said all he wanted to do was to use jellys which i thought we would be targetting pollock we started on wreck 23 miles from whitby i put a firetail on expecting him to be useing something similar but he had a blue storm shad on his line the first 3 drifts i got 3 good pollock all more or less into double figures and he got 3 cod i was amaized with this little fish looking lure i put one on next drift and it was fish after fish i could hardly believe just how deadly these lures for cod really are i was hooked on shads from that day on.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Barry i find worms usually outfish shads for pollock but not for cod i first got onto shads quite a few years ago when 1 guy booked the whole boat for himself he said all he wanted to do was to use jellys which i thought we would be targetting pollock we started on wreck 23 miles from whitby i put a firetail on expecting him to be useing something similar but he had a blue storm shad on his line the first 3 drifts i got 3 good pollock all more or less into double figures and he got 3 cod i was amaized with this little fish looking lure i put one on next drift and it was fish after fish i could hardly believe just how deadly these lures for cod really are i was hooked on shads from that day on.

paul.

When the conditions are right, wind, tide etc the blue shad is my favorite. Use that effectively for both pollock and cod. We can get out on wrecks that hold both shoals of small cod and also pollock. The cod are normally at the front, rear of the wreck while pollock are on top. Get the drop right with a decent tide and you name what is coming up before it shows. We have been on wrecks where the catch is 50-50. On a small tide we find the worms are working best with regards to movement. I would not consider baiting up a shad. A Three hook hokkie rig i would bait but fish differently.

A few years ago, i came away from using worms, don't really know why as they certainly were very effective. The reason we used worms on these two recent trips was purly because of lack of tide. We can also catch very good sized bass on the wrecks with either.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

When the conditions are right, wind, tide etc the blue shad is my favorite. Use that effectively for both pollock and cod. We can get out on wrecks that hold both shoals of small cod and also pollock. The cod are normally at the front, rear of the wreck while pollock are on top. Get the drop right with a decent tide and you name what is coming up before it shows. We have been on wrecks where the catch is 50-50. On a small tide we find the worms are working best with regards to movement. I would not consider baiting up a shad. A Three hook hokkie rig i would bait but fish differently.

A few years ago, i came away from using worms, don't really know why as they certainly were very effective. The reason we used worms on these two recent trips was purly because of lack of tide. We can also catch very good sized bass on the wrecks with either.

When the water is clear we never bait shads but it seems to be this time of the year if its a bit green for some unknown reason tipped with bait the cod home straight in the smell must excite the fish and obviously its moveing bait we never bait them in summer no need.

paul.

Untitled-1.jpg

Interesting stuff. JB once said 'dont jig bait' and I agree with him. Yet a baited shad proves that a moving bait will work, where a plain shad wouldn't. When Ive watched a shad working in the tide it looks like an ingenious man has created it. It just looks like a perfect imitation of a small bait fish to me.

Storm (or whoever) must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on getting the shad movement just right.

Then an angler fastens a lump of squid to it, which must change its dynamics totally and yet catches fish.

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Interesting stuff. JB once said 'dont jig bait' and I agree with him. Yet a baited shad proves that a moving bait will work, where a plain shad wouldn't. When Ive watched a shad working in the tide it looks like an ingenious man has created it. It just looks like a perfect imitation of a small bait fish to me.

Storm (or whoever) must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on getting the shad movement just right.

Then an angler fastens a lump of squid to it, which must change its dynamics totally and yet catches fish.

Looking forward to the photo's of the baited shad fish. :)

Looking forward to the photo's of the baited shad fish. :)

Simon who got the 15lb cod actually has it on his phone which he said he was going to post up he actully phoned me last night and said when his mate was takeing the photo he was actually videoing rather than takeing a snap he pressed the wrong button a bit strange but there you are he has been on holiday in whitby all week and will be home on saturday he said he will post the video up on the whitby forum when he does i will put a link on to it its only very short but the fish should look good it was a really nice speciman.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg