Rod advice please

Croix

Hi,

Looking for some advice/recommendations for a suitable allround fly rod for medium rivers and stillwaters, I'm thinking of something around 9' or 9'6" probably around a 7 weight. I have very little experience of fly rods or fly casting and would value some advice on the action of the rod - medium, medium/fast, fast, etc.

Are the more expensive rods easier and nicer to cast with ? I know from using a variety of spinning/lure rods over the years that the better quality rods for this type of fishing are certainly nicer to cast with and play fish on, I pressume the same applies in fly fishing ?

Expecting to spend upto £200ish, so not really looking at Sage, Loomis, etc.

The Greys GRX (£90ish) has been recommended to me, any views on this rod ?

Thanks for any help.

my greys missionary takes some beating, its 9'3", 6 - 7 weight. but the main thing about it is its 6 piece, so its great for travelling.

you dont have to spend £200

best thing to do though is try a few out, walkers in trowell have a good selection, though they're not exactly wonderful at customer service so not sure they'll let you try them out, but they do have a pond you can practice casting in, lessons are about 15 quid i think

Cheers Jon, I'll probably go to Walkers on Tues and have a look, I think the customer service there depends on who serves you, some of the staff are excellent, others are tossers.

PS, Is there any downside to having a multi piece rod against a 2 piece one ?

[ 27. March 2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Croix ]

The number of rods about at the moment that would suit are endless, but I'd stick with the Greys. good value for money and an unbeatable (for the price) warranty. Although if its for medium rivers and stillwaters, then a 6 weight might be more appropriate.

[ 28. March 2005, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Cheers for the advice, the more I look into this I think I may be better going for two different set ups to cover the types of fishing I intend to do rather than compromise and have a set up that is not really suited for either.

Stillwater fishing would probably range from 10 acre fisheries to 700 acre reservoirs, the river fishing would mainly be on the Derbyshire Derwent which isn't very big. Trying to find one rod to suitably cover that is going to be near impossible I would have thought.

What sort of rod should I look at for the larger stillwaters (bank & boat fishing), 9'6" #7/8 ?

Maybe a 9' #5/6 for the small waters and river ?

Thanks

I use several different rods, one t+t 9 10 11, a loomis 9ft 5wt then everything else is 10ft or over. The mainstay of my fishing is done with a 6wt sage or a7wt loomis, my boat partner swears by his platinum x, if I was srarting to buy again it would probably be one of these I would go for. I do fish rivers with both rods but they tend to be a bit bigger than some of the rivers beside you , I would still go for a 10ft 6wt as you can cover most things with it greys greyflex mk 11 gro459 10ft6/7 wt should get you by in most situations, after that you can look about and pick up something shorter if you need it!!!!

if the multi section rod is a good one, then theres no difference in the action or feel of the rod, if its a cheapy one then you probably would notice.

you're welcome to check out my greys and see what you think, dont expect any casting lessons though, i can barely do it myself let alone teach!