AFTMA ratings

fantasticfisherman

No you don't. But heavier fish usually demand a heavier rod and usually that comes with a heavier line. Some long casters however, drop down a line weight or two because they can aerialise a lot more than thirty feet and to do so with a line rated for the rod would put undue pressure on the rod. ie they might use a 4/5 weight line with a six weight rod. Conversely for short 'sight casting' where you need to load the rod quickly, a four weight rod might take a 5/6 weight line. It was (and probably still is) the thing, to stalk very big trout in 'put and take' lakes with five weight rods. It was not unusual for twenty pound plus rainbows to be caught on a 4/5 weight. I still use a four weight rod for all small waters. Power becomes immaterial when you've got more backing on the reel than the fish has room to run.

[ 29. March 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Don't worry about the breaking strain of fly line, your leader, or even your rod will break before the flyline does!

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Many put and take fisheries are starting to dis courage very light rods, espescialy if its catch and release. This is down to the fish basically killing its self in the prolonged fight, its better to beat a fish quickly and at least leave it some reserves to allow it to recover!!

Guest PhilB

Sportsman:

Don't worry about the breaking strain of fly line, your leader, or even your rod will break before the flyline does!

This is not always the case! A friend of mine had an "Airflo" floater which snapped when he struck into a fish! :D It seems that the core of the line was not continuous. I think he got his money back, along with a lot of other people who bought early Airflos. I think I will start using my No. 4 outfit again until I have bagged up (hopefully) then go back to the 6 & 7 weights for catch & release.