Beginning Young

John2702

I'm 51 and am seriously taking up serious fishing again after a 15-year break.... okay I have been fishing on the odd holiday.

I can remember fishing when i was about 8.

My five-year-old son loves to watch the Saturday morning angling programmes on Sky and wants to come with me.

Do you reckon this is too young?

Suppose he'll either love it or ruin my day.

Hi John,

Welcome to the site.

I have a five year old daughter and want to take her fishing this year. If I do, it will probably be for a maximum of two hours and somewhere where she is guaranteed to catch easily. I think kids of that age would enjoy that.

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I was two when I started.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

And Newt nearly caught one last year, too :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi John

Take the lad fishing, nothing better than father/son pastimes, fishing being the best.

This cold wet weather might not be best for him to begin fishing in, give it a month or so and get yourself onto a commercial water. The fish in these places are relatively easy to catch and for youngsters that's the most important thing to consider.

Good luck

John

I was 4 when my dad first took me. I'd look at it as more of a day in the great outdoors with a bit of fishing thrown in, rather than a 'proper' fishing trip. I took a friend's 4-year-old a couple of years back and he had as much (if not more!) fun collecting pine cones and swishing his little seaside net around the margins.

A short pole rather than a rod+reel is good if you have one - much less complicated :)

(By the way it was at Chesters' lake in Tilford, we had great fun fishing for the little rudd, tench and crucians!)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

From my experience with my kids, The most important thing is to make sure you take them somewhere they will catch easily. Certainly it isnt the time of year to do this, I would wait until the spring is here and have a recon on a few waters. And find somewhere that winkleing a few tiddlers out isnt going to be hard. Theres nothing more worst than after half an hour than " im bored daddy".

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

5 isnt too young at all but what i do recomend is not to even bother taking your own rod :D, all of your attention will probably be spent on your son, atleast thats what its like with my nephew at the moment

I'll agree with not fishing yourself, it's a mistake I made with my son.

How's the young'un getting on with the 'Rocket Rod' Andy?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'll agree with not fishing yourself, it's a mistake I made with my son.

How's the young'un getting on with the 'Rocket Rod' Andy?

John.

ive decided to wait until warmer weather when i can get him catching a ton of roach and perch up the canal so ill give it to him on his birthday, makes more sense

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk