Salt water

chuby

Ok guys,help please.Am off to Nothern Cyprus in Sept.There appears to be a variety of species,incl gars,bass and jack amongst others.Now they will take spinners,so would also like to try fly for them.If i use my fly lines/reels etc,will the sea water harm them!!.Ok ,i can rinse the reels over after use,which will help,but what about fly line!!.Would it be better to buy a cheap fly line/s and reel to keep for traveling and using in the sea.

Thanks

Guest PhilB

I think the lines will be OK but when you get home I would strip off all the backing and wash it in fresh water to get all the salt out of it. If left, this might corrode a metal spool unseen - it happened to me once after fishing a sea pool for seatrout and leaving the backing on. Good luck and let us know what you catch!

If I were you, I'd buy a cheap reel and at least an eight or nine WF line. I was in a similar situation - just bought a cheap reel off EBay - I used to use an old Rimfly, but it corroded. It's a lot of fun hooking a makerel or Gar on the fly. I've had a mackerel take a good 20 yards of line... such fun! The Gars even jump. Either use a Floater or an intermediate. If there is any wave movement, you'll need the intermediate to avoid getting everything washed in!!!!

Thanks again guys.Just thought the salt water may affect the line.I realise the reel could rust

Would assume if the reel was a cheap graphite job,then not too much to worry about.

Done well in southern Cyprus a few years ago with mullet and snapper but never been to the Turkish north so cannot really advise on the fishing there.

If you can get the mullet feeding on bread (take a bait catapult with you) it may work popping a small white dry fly amongst the floating bread.Try tippexing the hook white as well in case the metal gleam puts them off.

The multihook method is very effective for mullet but people frown upon the method as unsportsmanlike :) - it works though. Will PM you the technique if interested

Watching a local in Portugal a couple of years ago fishing for gars. He was floatfishing small strips of fish on a size 8 hook and got a load. Every fish tailwalked - best of luck :cool:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Unfortunately your chances of anything of a decent size are pretty remote around Cyprus so you will be able to get away with 6/7 weight with an intermediate line. Freshwater gear will suffice provided you rinse it off after every outing and give it all a good strip and clean after the trip. Just remember to upgrade the leader (12lbs Maxima on a 20lb butt). I would suggest you try the breakwater (both sides) in Famagusta for the snapper and mullet, either side of Cape Andreas for mackerel, gars and bass, depending on the wind or Cape Kormakiti for snapper and reef fish. I found the last 2 better on a flooding spring tide. Tight lines.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Great stuff,thanks everyone.

Fin-s.Have been to the south,fishing very poor around Paphos area :( .Am staying at Kyrenia,which by the looks of it has both harbour and brakewater and rocks,so may hold more fish.Only web site i have found re species says there is a fair mixture but thin on the ground.

Will take fly rod and tele rod along :D

Thanks gain all.