Shropshire Weekend

Guest franticfisherman2

As promised here is the first part of the report from our weekend. On Friday we went to Hurst Farm (Thanks for the info chuby). Luckily we had a good navigator - FF1 used to drive for a living - I was totally lost and only had a vague recollection of direction by looking at the position of the sun! Here's a view of the lake;

s002.jpg

It is well out of the way and the owner (Dave) was still building a lodge on the lake side. He says he hasn't started advertising yet and was interested to hear we had heard of it thro the internet.

There was only one odd rule which was all fish over 3lb had to be returned. This put bruv off right away cos his first fish was a beaut of about 5lb and had to be returned. Anyway, we all caught fish - olive fritz, cats, mobile montana, olive flashback nymph was good for bruv while I had 5 on a claret hopper. Here's one of them;

s004.jpg

I will add another installment on this thread probably tomorrow and also take some photos of the flies we used.

Thank god it was good and you caught :D:D:D

as i have only just returned to fly fishing,i found the water quite easy,and think Dave-the owner is very accommodating(will do you a deal on price if staying there)and pretty easy going.May not be the prettiest of waters,but think he keps it well stocked and is reasonably priced.

chuby:

Thank god it was good and you caught    :D      :D      :D  

as i have only just returned to fly fishing,i found the water quite easy,and think Dave-the owner is very accommodating(will do you a deal on price if staying there)and pretty easy going.May not be the prettiest of waters,but think he keps it well stocked and is reasonably priced.

Oh and can't understand why you had trouble finding it :D:D

Thanks Dan. The fish on Friday were in super condition and fought very hard. On Saturday we went to Valley Dam near Llanfihangel (between lake Vyrnwy and Llanfyllin). This is a nice little lake of 2 acres set in a picturesque valley. The previous owner had farmed crayfish and there are still a few in the lake but the owner Brian is trapping them and hopes to clear the place eventualy. I'm sure some of the takes I had were from them and FF1 landed one which grabbed his sinking line! here's a couple of views;

s007.jpg

s009.jpg

I stuck to a floating line and nymphs but did get one off the top on that claret hopper. Buzzers and PTN did the damage for me and I had my best 2 fish on a 'poxy buzzer which I found where I started fishing! Here's Bruv & FF1 with their fish, best was 3lb 14oz.

s013.jpg

Highlight of the day was seeing FF1 about to start gnawing on his cork handle because bruv and I had let him forget his sarnies! I came to the rescue with a genuine Greggs pasty. More to follow later...........

You've had a senior's moment Frantic Fisherman 2,you hid my food the following day when we went to Chirk.Tut tut!I'm supposed to be the ancient one, hmmm,maybe not!!!!!!!

FF1:

You've had a senior's moment Frantic Fisherman 2,you hid my food the following day when we went to Chirk.Tut tut!I'm supposed to be the ancient one, hmmm,maybe not!!!!!!!

there you go again, spoiling the story :P

Here is the final instalment of my report. We only had a few hours spare on sunday morning, we drove to a place we had fished last year but found it all locked up, with chains padlocks and barbed wire! A big sign said syndicate members only. We went for FF1's local fishery which is Chirk. Paid £8 for a 4 hour sporting ticket and went for a chuck. Today there were 4 of us and we managed 7 sorry specimens between us. I had 2, the first was a pound (actually that's generous!) and there were a lot of fungussed fish blundering aimlessly about. It could have been a nice little spot if the owner had netted out all the sick fish before his customers arrived! Here it is; (there is another lake behind the car park)

s014.jpg

It's true, FF1's sarnies did get misplaced but it was only to keep them out of the sun honest. We caught on dries and nymphs, a G&H sedge and a sedgehog was OK but not brilliant. Here's my best 3 flies of the weekend PTN, claret hopper and that 'poxy buzzer that I found at Valley Dam;

Webshropflies003.jpg

OK, not very exciting but they did the biz and I tend not to experiment very much nowadays. I would like to publically thank FF1 and his dear lady wife for looking after bruv and I and hope to see them again next year. Here's some details if you fancy trying these places;

Hurst Farm (there is no mention of the trout lake but it is there!) http://www.hurstfarmcottages.co.uk/index.html

Valley Dam Tel. 01691 648837

Chirk Fishery Tel.01691 772420 (You never know, it may improve. It was better than not fishing at all but only just!)

This is you roving reporter signing off, see you next time :)

jim doyle:

I,ve warned you about going any further south than Darlington, even on missionary work, now youll have to come north to recover.!!!!          

Any further north than Berwick and I get nose-bleeds :D