Distance Carping

Rob Ward

Agree with Gaffers points re casting.Would like to hear his views on how to use a spod at these distances though.I can put a spod over 150m (measured over grass not carpestamated!) but cant keep the stuff in em much over 75m.Do you seal the end some how? use one with doors on or something? A problem I have come across many times with long range fishing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you seal the end some how? use one with doors on or something?

Budgie,

There is a spod with a sort of flap that keeps the bait in on the cast.

Cannot remember the manufacturers name, all I can remember is it was black with a big red end on it( not meant to be saucy)and the flap was kept in place by the 4 power gum line when under tension from the bait and cast. When the spod hit the water the tension was released the flap opened and the bait fell out.

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

BUDGIE:

Agree with Gaffers points re casting.Would like to hear his views on how to use a spod at these distances though.I can put a spod over 150m (measured over grass not carpestamated!) but cant keep the stuff in em much over 75m.Do you seal the end some how? use one with doors on or something? A problem I have come across many times with long range fishing.

You could also try a bit of flavoured stiff brown crumb grounbait as a plug.

the spod with the flap is the Fox rocketer or something like that.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

No.All of my use of spods has been with the smaller particles such as hemp and maples.These I keep in the cooking water so when I fill it it is normally filled ie no gaps between the particles with this water any way.Tried ground bait bungs but not a great improvement and some times you had trouble getting the bung to disintegrate/come out! Have used Gardner Bait Rockets (origonal ones) and lots of home made versions.All work great up to 75m ish but after that I get the emptying out mid air problem.When baiting up with the large amounts of hemp I favour I feel that any solution using PVA type products would prove to be a right royal pain in the arse! As I said will give the door type a go.There are only two possible reasons for my problem 1.Everyone has it but dont know what 100m is! or Im doing something so obviously wrong I cant see it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Spods can be great but hard to be accurate at long range. PVA bags are definetly out of the question at that range. You said you didnt want to use a boat, but if you could get hold of one it would make it much easier and would probalbly improve your chances no end. It would be more accurate and much less noisy, up to u but I would give it a go.

However with many waters big or small, if you look around ever angler trys to cast to the island or as far away as possble, and says it less noisy hens the fish will be there. I would disagree with this a lot of the bigger fish I have caught are from 1 or 2 rod lenghs out, nobody fishes there so the fish hold up and feel safe, can be deadly Somtimes. NEVER DEGLECT THE MARGINS (often fish are where everone does,nt fish but nobody can see this) GOOD LUCK