A Pike Fishing Question

Rusty

There's nothing wrong with looking for big fish, I think the problem of pressured venues is a lot of new people are entering pike fishing with the idea it is an easy way to catch a big fish based on photos in the press etc. I have seen messages in the past from people who have only been at it a couple of winters and want to know where they are going wrong , as they have not had a 20 pounder yet. many will obviously be spending a lot of time on waters with a reputation , because the reality is that there are comparatively few places like this every one ends up on the same venues.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

‘Why do we fish for them?’ (Pike) could prompt some deep philosophical stuff, ‘why do we fish at all?’ Perhaps all are answers are individual ones, or a collective, ‘because we like to’, and ‘because we can’.

For some of us it is as Rich says (Hiya and welcome to AN from me too, where do you live?), In the North West & Scotland where there's been traditionally little else to fish for in the way of coarse fish , other than pike & perch in the big Lochs & lakes this was not really the case. Most of the rivers are exclusively game fish here.

On the lake we fished as kids you could have fished for ‘another species’, so long as you were happy with 6 inch perch, the main excitement with them was seeing who could get to 100 first.

Reading posts like yours confirms to me how lucky we are here, for example the notion of clubs controlling swims on a rota like system, I don’t belong to a club, and come to think of it nor do the few anglers who I encounter. Most of my pike fishing is from a boat and although some areas are out of bounds for conservation reasons, I can’t imagine being told to ‘move on you have been in that spot too long’.

I must confess to finding winter pike fishing up here especially difficult, and can’t remember even seeing a perch in the cold months. We do go out and have a go, but it’s more just to get out and do something. Perehaps I am one of those incompetent anglers?

I fish for pike because they are here and when the rod wrenches around I feel that I have made contact with the spirit of an ancient time, pike are big, bold and exciting, they seem to adopt a no nonsense attitude, ‘grab it and scoff it’. Pike don’t care about my lifestyle, that I have said the right things to the right people, filled my returns in properly, taken my medication on time, whether or not that I have done the hundred and one things which contemporary life demands of us. In fact ‘pikey’ probably wishes (if fish do ‘wish’) that I would **** off and leave it alone to carry on eating things unmolested. However that’s life, I am human it’s a fish. I pike fish in summer and have the most fantastic time doing so, we catch lots if not often large ones. They are not messed about, unhooked quickly and with the proper gear and on a mat, all are weighed and measured on request from university who are researching their numbers, growth and distribution.

If strong evidence was presented to show that these pike were all dying due to being caught in summer then stopping fishing would be a consideration. However I would urge all summer anglers to consider, ‘how much do you care?’ for example if you were told not to fish for any species just in case a pike is hooked, they do after all take baits aimed at other species, or even ‘take’ those other species as they are being reeled in, would you refrain from fishing? Probably not, and quite right too, almost everything involves a risk, that concept which almost defines modernity and is shaping ‘late modernity’ , or even ‘post modermity’ if that’s where you consider we are.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Yes to all of the previous posts really its just the nature of the game.No need to apologise noodle I knew what you were getting at.

Rusty what do you think of the replies so far?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

'proper' predator fishing i.e with lures or fly is why I fish for pike as the tackle is light and the fishing can be very explosive/exciting

I've sort of come to the conclusion that pike fishing isn't as easy as people think, it takes lots of travelling and getting on the right waters, not so much technique.....things which I don't have the time or energy to bother with. I know I'm not doing anything wrong bit have such a poor winter I do wonder sometimes where all the pike have gone but I know I'll still go out and fish for pike on the rivers as it's something I love doing.

This spring/summer I'd like to make a move towards catching more pike on the fly as it's te most enjoyable method I've come across. Since there are very few big fish where I am you might as well make it fun catching the smaller ones!

Edited by Neil G

After reading Neil's post I must correct something in mine - although I said I don't fish for pike in summer, I do occasionally have an evening on the Thames fishing surface poppers, just because it's so exciting. I've been meaning to fly fish for pike for ages now as well, and that would also be on those balmy summer evenings. We haven't had a balmy summer's evening for over two years now though, and even in a proper summer I might do this once or twice.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi

I'm new to the Uk lingo so bear with me.

Coarse fish, Pikers, swims, its really all very confusing to a Canadian.

Over here the Pike are in the swims by the millions, and our main reason for fishing for them here is to eat them.

Most of the swims have cold water depths year round and the Pike are excellent eating fish. Very similar in testure and taste to our Walleye here, which are famed as world class table fare.

When looking for giants here instead of something for dinner, we look to different locations. Truly giant Pike in the 30LB class get that way by being very efficient predators. Once they reach about 15LB or so they begin to prey on larger food sources. Once you key in on the food sources you will find the big fish.

We have a spring spawning run of Redhorse Suckers, 3 to 6 LB fish, that giant Pike can't resist. I have caught 20LB + Pike with 3 suckers in thier gut.

We use a method of "Selective Harvest" for Pike fishing here, keep small ones for food and release the big ones to sustain the fisheries.

To ensure safe release, proper equipment is key. Bolt cutters, and a large "pen style" net or cradle.

If you get in the practise of cutting hooks with mini bolt cutters, they are very easy to release unharmed.

Good Luck you Pikers

Mike

www.reelpro.ca

post-16309-1235144691_thumb.jpg

THX MIKE

mike@reelpro.ca

www.reelpro.ca

Use the small boat to fly fish for them in the summer at the tail end of weir pools wicked fun,Lots of big Perch and Chub in the evenings as well which shocked me at first due to the size of the Pike flies.

Never really tried Surface lures so that is something i will have to rectify this summer Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Rusty what do you think of the replies so far?

It's sort of heading in the direction I thought it would, I'm just trying to think of words to use that won't offend anyone. I hadn't taken into account geographical differences, the fact that warmer days in northern parts are still cold must ease the pressure on the fish, when it's really cold up there nothing feeds so no point in fishing for Pike. That's a good thing.

I'm sure most individuals are skilled and act responsibly and as Anderoo says, it's better to have many competent anglers fishing for Pike than a few numpties. The fact is though, for this particular species, many competent anglers is still a bad thing.

I do think there needs to be some form of regulation, especially if it's clear that numbers are in decline.

Probably best for me to sum up by saying that I wouldn't feel comfortable being photographed holding a big Pike that I'd just caught. I'm not trying to be 'holier than thou' or anything like that, the thought that the same fish may be caught by a skilled angler the following week would make me uneasy so I'd rather not fish for them.

I think they're bloody ugly anyway.

PS...JV44 I do still want to come out on your boat though, I'll fish for something else.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back