multiplier setup ????

Lee-sox

As summer is quickly approaching and my lure fishing will begin again on the 16th june :D , it is time to get a new rod to replace "claire" my old fixed spool setup which went for a swim and drowned :( :mad: last season.

i am going to have a go with a multiplier setup this year and would appreciate some advice on what would be a good rod and reel setup (left handed)

i am reasonably happy with how to use one as my mate has had a 7ft Toothy Critter Jerkbait Rod one for a while now and i have the odd go and find it a nice setup but not maybe as good as i would like (just doesnt feel right)

I have a budget of £75 but maybe a bit more if its really nice.

All help greatfully recieved

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

Lee, get yourself over to Ebay and check out item

no 3670398168. Its an ABU medium heavy baitcaster. A good friend of mine imports them from the US and sells them on at around £20 each. Extremely good value for money and a lot of people in our particular circle of friends now use them. Dont worry if you dont win that auction there are a few more on Ebay at the moment if you do a 'search' and he can usually find more. That should leave you sufficent funds left over for a good used ABU 5501 or ABU 6501. A combination that's streets ahead of anything else you're likely to find in your local tackle shop.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Gerrys right the rods Trev sells are great value for money.Choice of rod is a personnel thing but please do your self a favour and only buy a multiplier from ABU.The cheaper alternatives from Shakespeare,Ryobi etc are just a waste of money.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

</font>

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Lee-sox:

I am going to have a go with a multiplier setup this year and would appreciate some advice on what would be a good rod and reel setup (left handed) </font><hr />

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good call! Double-handled multiplier ... nice! But seriously, make sure that you go for the Abus with the 01 at the end of the code as these are for left-hand wind

Also, as a big fan of Not-being-Ripped-off (compare USA prices at BassPro for a 6501, with the UK Recommended Rip-off Price), likewise I am also a big fan of Ebay.

You might also find this article (click here) of interest

DG

The Six Shooter is a dog of a rod. The actual blank is pretty good but that handle is awful! Lengthen and reshape the handle then you could have a decent rod, but as it is its a complete waste of money, horrible thing! The pistol grip and the blank belong on different planets, they are that unsuited in my humble opinion. But then I must have a weak, limp wrist!!

Lee, it might be your lucky day. My friend Trevor has a brand new ABU 5601 for sale at

The 5601 being the 'anti-backlash' model is probably the best ABU reel for learning to use a multiplier. The anti-backlash device minimalises over-runs but at the expense of distance. When you feel confident enough, you can lose the over-run feature and use it like a normal reel.

If you email Trevor via 'ask the seller a question' he'll do you the ABU reel and the ABU rod for £75 and throw in the postage to a UK address on the house. He'd normally expect £80 plus postage.

Tell him you spoke to me (Gerry)

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Cheers argyll, i will go for tht i think.

I had a play around with a six shooter in the tackle shop the other day...Weird or what!!

Thanks for the replys guys

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

i've got a 5501 on ebay at the mo, check out

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...MESSE%3AIT&rd=1

i've got a couple more that i havent put on yet, so if ou dont want to wait for the auction to finish, make me an offer!

the anti backlash in my opinion is a waste of time, it only takes a short session to learn how to cast without it, and the anti backlash reduces casting distance and adds weight. the rods gerry mentions are very good though, i bought one myself last year and i use it a lot.

If you can find one at the price than a Shimano Curado takes some beating. There's one on Ebay at the moment here, or there's a few more in the USA on ebay.com

Agree about the Abu rods - very nice. Might even have a bid mysef :)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.