Bait Additives

AntMac

Every time i open my kitchen cupboard i remember something I've read about bait additives such as cayenne pepper, aniseed and curry powder etc.

Does anyone have a favorite bait additive that they use and does anything target specific species of fish?

Do you think different species of fish like different flavours?

I know predators aren't supposed to be fond of sweet flavours.

I have a few that I like for using on soft plastic lures but I doubt you could buy them locally. No good for pike anyway as they don't hunt by 'smell' like some pred species do.

I think your question is too general and you'll do better asking something more specific. Otherwise you may get answers as useless to you as mine was.

- what sort of baits

- what sort of waters

- what species do you fish for

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I dont agree with that sorry, Pike use all there sences when fishing. Sight is probably there primary hunting sence but they do use smell aswell and vibration. How would they find food in coloured water if they used sight alone?

As for other bait additives theres so many house hold things that work well. for other species, When i use to work in the meat trade i used the flavour glaze powders that the butchers use for flavouring chops. you know like tandori and chinese. They worked well in small amounts in groundbait for tench and bream.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

So what are it's 200 Million year old nostrils for then...taking charlie at parties?

;)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

i sprinkle some coriander onto maggots for roach!! they love it!!

I also use sugar in my groundbait mixes to:

a.) Make it sweet

and

b.) Make it bind together better (becomes sticky)!

Other ones I have heard for but have not used are garlic, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes, salt(???), mustard powder, again aniseed. I use liquid additives aswel, I favour the sonu baits variety for sweet flavours with strawberry and van den eynde variety for amino and fishmeal flavours - they truely pong!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

My hubby used to use Marmite flavoured Bread Paste when he went Carp fishing, I was always asked to keep some in the larder but it was only ever used for his Carp Baits.