Fly for pike

SPSwallow

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of rod would you do this. Would a light lure rod do the trick?

No, although you can buy some very light lures, that as well as having a balsa wood body, have fibre/feather/fur tails, that mimic "flies". You need a dedicated fly rod to fly fish, as it is the line that makes the weight for casting, unlike most other types of fishing, where the weight is on the end of the line. Would recommend nothing less than a ten weight for pike.

If you actually intend to fly-fish for pike then Ducktape here is bang on but if you simply wish to see if the odd fly catches you a few fish, there are a few 'flies' that can be cast on light baitcasting outfits.

...Andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I use a 10wt outfit and that works for me but have come across/spoke to guys using as little as 8wt outfits Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Cheers mateys. I wouldn't be doing it for a while. I was just curious. I wouldn't have thought pike would be interested in flies. It must be really hard to catch them.

... the pike that is, not the flies. That would be a job and a half, fly live baiting.

Edited by SPSwallow

I use a 10wt outfit and that works for me but have come across/spoke to guys using as little as 8wt outfits Steve.

That'll be a bit light, but useable. It's all in the action - a fast action #8 would be better than a soft #9 or even a #10. You need a fast stiff actioned rod which will cope with the big fish and cast tight loops - the flies are big and or heavy.

I suggest you stick to a 9' or 9'6'' #9 like the Airflo Bluetooth Predator or if you need a fighting butt somehting like the Loop Pike Booster 9' AFTM #8. I use a Greys GRX 8/9 - it's not ideal, but it has enough grunt for most eventualties including bass. However, I'm after a Platinum XD saltwater 9ft AFTM 9.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

. I wouldn't have thought pike would be interested in flies.

'Flies'is a generic term for a particular type of lure designed to be cast on a set up where to weight of the line conbined with the action of the rod provide the dynamics for propulsion. These creations are not intented to represent species of fly, many include features identifiable to the pike of those of small fish, some look like small mammals while others are just hopefully attractive to pike because of their colour, movement and shape while not especially bearing a resemblence to anything living (on ths planet anyway).

The same is true of many of the patterns used to tempt trout, some purists will argue that 'fly' is an inappropriate term to describe such thing sas zonkers, cats whiskers, dog nobblers etc, and a few even maintain that any sub surface (wet) offering is a lure.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

'Flies'is a generic term for a particular type of lure designed to be cast on a set up where to weight of the line conbined with the action of the rod provide the dynamics for propulsion. These creations are not intented to represent species of fly, many include features identifiable to the pike of those of small fish, some look like small mammals while others are just hopefully attractive to pike because of their colour, movement and shape while not especially bearing a resemblence to anything living (on ths planet anyway).

The same is true of many of the patterns used to tempt trout, some purists will argue that 'fly' is an inappropriate term to describe such thing sas zonkers, cats whiskers, dog nobblers etc, and a few even maintain that any sub surface (wet) offering is a lure.

Ah ha. Makes sense. I had images of 5 inch blue bottles!

It's all in the action - a fast action #8 would be better than a soft #9 or even a #10. You need a fast stiff actioned rod which will cope with the big fish and cast tight loops - the flies are big and or heavy.

Yup spot on mate.Nice to read some sense on the subject. Nearly all, maybe all (but I darent risk an absolute else some ones bound to prove me wrong!) heavier fly rods (especially the saltwater ones) have totally the wrong action for chucking out big flies a sensible distance.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've got the Bob Church pike fly rod and I'm pretty impressed with it so far, Good rod for £50 and will cast 10-12wt lines with ease and big flies (6-7 inch roach/perch patterns)

IMO no point mucking about using 6wt rods if there are really big fish present, a 9/10wt rod may be a bit more tiring to cast all day but you'll be glad to have a bit of extra poke if you do hook a big one.