Safe helicopter rig

poledark

Agreed but helirigs don't seem to give clear indications for me. I want a rig that gives the initial bolt but then goes free running and so what ever happens you get a screaming run!

The line bites I've had at Wingham have been lifts of 3ft! Nothing worse than being sat in the rain at 2am deciding if you have a bite or if you are about to ruin what might be your only chance that season!

Rich

Ive not fished Wingham, but Ive never known a good bream hook its self and stop after 3ft on a bolt rig with a short hook length.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

That is the point of the pva Alan. most of the commercial answers involve beads and bits of tube which jam together to stop the hook link from shooting back on the cast. Most are unreliable so the angler ends up adding a split shot (or two) even gluing the bead in place !. And then you have the problem of the loop in the leadcore.....................

I am not a fan of heli rigs, but when distance and silkweed are combined, it can provide an answer.

Den

Thanks, Den. The waters I fish as a rule are quite weedy and for that reason I tend to use a helirig a lot.

If it's a water I know, I use a soft hooklength when I have the confidence. Otherwise I use a stiff hooklength and a pop-up on the hair or quite often worms on the hook. It's a variation on the chod rig (although I think more accurately, the chod rig is a variation on the helirig!)

What I have never used are split shot or glue, it turns a fundamentally safe rig into a potential death-trap. Any tubing I use is a wider diameter than the swivel on the hooklength and the stop beads are a misnomer, as they are very free running.

As far as bite indication goes, I tend to rely on a heavier than usual lead creating a bolt. OK, bite indication isn't as positive as other rigs, but at the same time, I have the confidence that I'm not tangled and can generally reach the fish holding areas where I can with other presentations.I reckon your idea could get another 'tester' next tuesday when I am next out and about! Thanks, Den. I'll let you know how I got on

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I don't do carp but wouldn't this work with the swivel trapped between two beads and the beads prevented from moving away from the lead with a silicone stop bead ?

The stop beads are very effective and unlikely to fly up the line on the cast but they would release with a decent tug.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.