Fishing Magazines

Elton

Posted on behalf of B. A. Eastep. Please add all replies to this thread:

I live in the USA and what would be a good magazine for fishing i have floats rods and poles just learning how to use them. I started this bank fishing for its more fun to me. Trout and cat fishing is a lot of fun but i need to get better.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

He maybe be better off getting a Bob Nudd or someones video/DVD as I am sure he would learn a lot more.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I think it's a sad condemnation that the British magazines, almost to a number, appear to presume more than a little prior knowledge.

It's ironic that the one rag which covers pole fishing, almost exclusively, called itself 'Angling Times Advanced' - I assume it's so they can add £'s to the cover price.

TO be honest, I recommend looking at the book reviews on here for an idea of a good 'how to ...' book.

I wish B A every bit of good luck.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

From previous web browsing I notice European style fishing has a small following in the US, is there not some niche US magazine already catering to your needs? Newt?

Geoff

I think it's a sad condemnation that the British magazines, almost to a number, appear to presume more than a little prior knowledge.

It's ironic that the one rag which covers pole fishing, almost exclusively, called itself 'Angling Times Advanced' - I assume it's so they can add £'s to the cover price.

TO be honest, I recommend looking at the book reviews on here for an idea of a good 'how to ...' book.

I wish B A every bit of good luck.

"Mr. Crabtree goes fishing", language and dress is archaic but still full of good advice on basic fishing techniques especially for the novice!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

A copy of the above and a year's subscription to Improve Your Coarse Fishing should do the trick, I'd reckon.

Until Kev Green took over the editorial chair of IYCF, i'd have unreservedly aggreed with you. Far less so now nless BA Eastep wants to take up carp fishing. The articles have decended to the sensationalist 'X number of things you must try' type, which means it's faddist and aimed at plugging the contributor' sponsors. IMO - the very thing a beginner does not need!

Sad, and opinionated I may be, but as soon as Green started a few months' worrth of readers' wives / girlfriends wearing Nash t-shirts, I cancelled my subscription...because it had changed it's brief to the point where it's title had become a misnomer.

I honestly believe that B A would learn more from reading Gareth Purnell's magazine 'Coarse Fisherman'.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Until Kev Green took over the editorial chair of IYCF, i'd have unreservedly aggreed with you. Far less so now nless BA Eastep wants to take up carp fishing. The articles have decended to the sensationalist 'X number of things you must try' type, which means it's faddist and aimed at plugging the contributor' sponsors. IMO - the very thing a beginner does not need!

Fair enough. I must admit, it's been a few years ago since I last saw a copy so I didn't realise they'd had a change in editorial direction. More carp, eh? Just what the world needed…

I always want to like Coarse Fisherman, but somehow it always ends up getting on my nerves as much as any of them.