45lb-plus Broads pike stuns angling!

Guerilla

just got back from a week down there :D

and all i will say is Hickling broad

the captor spoke to our party

but for reasons all will understand not the exact location

we are lead to understand it was 451/2lb and 47ins long

Thank you from the anglers that fish Hickling. I don't suppose it occured to you that when holiday makers ask experienced Norfolk anglers where they caught their last 40, they're usually given a location some distance away, because it's politer to bend the truth rather than telling someone to mind their own business.

Of course it may have come from Hickling and this could be a double bluff. :rolleyes:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it may have been you, Peter. Surely, with all those boats and electronic gizmos, you've had at least one forty? :D

Elton, it couldn't have been Peter unless he's gone over to the dark side and got the bivvies, bite alarms bedchair and numerous cases of beer amongst his kt now! :lol:

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Just a thought, it was caught by a thoroughly decent bloke, a caring and competent angler. The fish wasn't named, and was carefully returned, alive and healthy. But he needn't have done, he could, quite legally, have killed it. Food for thought?

Yes and even though it was still publicised in the open season he did delay it as long as possible.

This whole buisness of reporting fish is a very complicated issue.Also it gets up my nose how easy many (who are not,never have been or most likely never will be in the situation) are so quick to adopt the moral high ground and condem those who do report big fish.

To go public or not is a very personal and situational decission and can be governed by lots of factors-

Papers these days pay big bucks for big stories! but they only pay this if they think they are going to get a return! Publishing such a story as this during the closed season would have meant a lot less to the press than being able to publish it durig the season. This obviously affected Johns decission.

The guy is extremely proud of catching the fish and is getting a right buzz out of his grandkids being able to see him in the papers.Remember this wasnt just a casual capture the guy actualy moved to the area sometime ago especially for the fishing.

I know many local anglers are extremely worried about all the extra attention the system will now get.People often forget that its not just the "target" fish that becomes pressured but all the fish in that area!Im sure the closed season break will reduce this slightly but come the autumn and the travling pikers thoughts will return to this.Got to remember the locals have seen this all before when Nev caught Dora which was a one time record.

I suppose really we shouldnt say "locals" as really "regulars" would be a bit more fairer and acurate.For lots of anglers necessity means that their "regular" water is far from "local"! "Local pike for local people!" is all to Roysten Vasey for me Im afraid.

Would I have done things any different? Well its totally irellevant as it wasnt me who caught it! so who are any of us to critisise?

Oh I thought I best just add for the record for those that dont know me that I personally dont report fish but once again thats entirely my own choice.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Firstly, I feel the need to offer my congratulations to such a fabulous capture. I certainly didn't believe the Broads would throw up a specimen that size but pleased to see myself and all the doubters wrong.

Interesting to see such positive comments from the renowned pike anglers on the forum.

Living in the vicinity, I've heard a lot of negative reports regarding the captor, which upon reading the AT article, these have been thoroughly rubbished, pleasing me no end. As Peter mentioned, he's clearly a very decent and dedicated angler.

It appears that those in the know heard whispers of the catch a while ago, so it was only going to be a matter of time before the masses heard of it and proceeded to descend upon the Thurne! As said before, we can only hope the area can sustain all those trophy hunters.

Incidentally, what is the motivation for all flocking to that spot? The belief that there must be other whoppers, the hope of a re-capture, or the possibility that it will be bigger now and thus be bordering on a new record? I don't see the appeal...

Just a thought, it was caught by a thoroughly decent bloke, a caring and competent angler. The fish wasn't named, and was carefully returned, alive and healthy. But he needn't have done, he could, quite legally, have killed it. Food for thought?

Would have looked great in a cabinet lol

TBH that fish must be pretty close to the end of it's days anyway but good on him for doing the right thing and putting it back safely...I'm in no doubt there will be plenty queing up though to try and best the record with a recapture :schmoll: