The effect of noise?

ahop0911

Hello All,

I've been focusing on a stretch of The Kennet in Berkshire recently and had some success (by my standards) with Chub over 4lb and Barbel over 8lb and had fish on the bank in each of my last 3 visits in Feb, as well as one or two lost fish on each occasion as well. All in all, some entertaining fishing. Weather's been mixed from cold and dry to mild, windy and wet and I've generally fished the p.m. and a few hours into darkness.

So, I arrived yesterday at 1pm with some expectation. 8 hours later I went home dispiritedly with a big fat blank....not just a blank though, this was a COMPLETE blank, not even a bite or a knock for my troubles. Weather was OK in that it was no different to previously successful sessions and I tried everything - different baits, combos, rigs, hooks, hooklengths.....NOTHING!

It seemed as if the fish had just disappeared! The only thing that was in any way different was that during the day and until about 5pm, the field that adjoins the river bank was being ploughed by a monster tractor and I wonder whether the disturbance and vibrations would have scared the fish away? If so, how long will they be gone for?

Any body got any thoughts on this?

Alistair

I would say it was the vibration rather than the noise that moved the fish. Water transmits noise and vibration better than air. The fish would feel it through their lateral line and find it uncomfortable. Remember Mr Crabtree telling Jim not to stamp and shuffle his feet on the bank! Having said that, fish do have hearing and their inner ear is attached to the front of their swim bladders in the case of most cyprinids. I have seen the surface of a lake erupt with sounding fish when someone carelessly slammed a car door.

Why on earth didn't you move on? I wouldn't have wanted to fish there with all the noise and disturbance.

Guest tigger

I can't see a constant noise like that causing a problem. I was trotting a float recently and the taking spot was just in front of a very low railway bridge and I often got a take as a train rattled past directly above. I think a sudden ground shuddering noise may just spook the fish for a very short time but that's about it , just my opinion mind.

Edited by tigger

It could have been the tractor, or it could have been anything else, impossible to say really. Noise/vibration/movement does have a huge effect on fish, some places and species more than others. There's a little stream near me where there are two distinct stretches next to each other, one running through fields of sheep and the next running through empty fields. The fish in the empty field stretch are definitely more spooky and harder to catch than those in the sheepy stretch. Logic suggests that the sheepy fish are used to animals lumbering about near the water, and so aren't spooked by clumsy footfalls/skylining quite as much.

If the spot you were in is usually very quiet, then the extra disturbance could have been enough to make them sulk.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Several writers have pointed out that some noises/vibrations can actually turn fish on. Indeed, I remember one example when fish often bit as a train went by or immediately after.

However these would have been familiar noises/vibrations to the fish. It's possible that those caused by the tractor were the exact opposite, and thus scared the fish out of the area or at the very least put them off the feed.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I would think the fish are well used to tractor noises etc. I'd think it's unusual noises that might spook them. I can think of loads of fishing spots that are thick with noise and the fish don't care one bit.

...Andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I am sure the fish get used to the tractors , i run a big tractor with the cutters down the field and all round the lake and normally whack a load of feed in for them every time during the summer .spend a little time watching them stuff there faces .

They have got to the point that soon as i arrive you can see loads of fish scanning the surface they know its bumper feed time :lol:

Not sure if its vibration or the noise ? but they defo know i am on the way ..

Never the same if i take the car or van down but the tractor and the cutters , every time .

Could be the tractor in your case spooked them or could just be coincidence . maybe they have been spooked at the same as a tractor went by in the past and so they associate it with danger maybe ?

Funny things fish sometimes thick as muck other times clever things . I sat one evening floating bread stalking this one fair sized Carp . time after time after time ,the bugger approached the bread from the side and kept nudging the bread til it fell :angry: sneaky git .. so they arent silly once they get older .

I would say it was the vibration rather than the noise that moved the fish. Water transmits noise and vibration better than air. The fish would feel it through their lateral line and find it uncomfortable. Remember Mr Crabtree telling Jim not to stamp and shuffle his feet on the bank! Having said that, fish do have hearing and their inner ear is attached to the front of their swim bladders in the case of most cyprinids. I have seen the surface of a lake erupt with sounding fish when someone carelessly slammed a car door.

Why on earth didn't you move on? I wouldn't have wanted to fish there with all the noise and disturbance.

I fish a lake that regularly "shakes" as the main London to Birmingham train line is right next to it the fish don't seam bothered. If someone slams a car door though it kills the fishing stoned dead

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

Thanks to all for your views.

I guess the summary is that the fish get used to regular noise/vibrations however strong but that anything unusual could spook them.

Let's see what happens when I get out again this weekend!

Its simply a case that if youve got a regular/constant disturbance they get used to it.If its unusual/out of the blue it spooks them.Well thats what Ive found any way.

I can well relate to Lake Owners tracter&cutters/food story as Ive known Kois (and King carp for that matter) in garden ponds to soon get used to not only footsteps/people walking past the pond but also get to recognise the one who normally feeds them!

Trout in stew ponds/cages are also quite capable of "knowing" regular feed times when automatic feeders are used.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!