Stuart McPherson - Angling Trust

Elton

He looks a bit 'ard, Leon. I hope he is. A man in his position should be telling the likes of Defra what 1 million taxpayers demand, rather asking them how they'd like us all to conform.

If looks are anything to go by, he's the man! :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I note the AT press release does mention commercial fishing and this has to be a first. Lets hope they can stop the NFFO dominating proceedings with DEFRA and the EU. Maybe then I would put my hand back into my pocket. If they carry on with this RSA strategy, bag limits, codes of conduct, anglers are to blame caper they don't deserve a penny.

With a new name and a new leader the Angling Trust has a chance of a new start. I hope they take it rather than going back to old an unproductive ways.

Mark Lloyd's presentation indicated that tackling commercial overfishing and article 47 were at the top of the sea angling agenda.

He rightly pointed out that this ain't going to happen without a serious number of members (voting clout) and the financial backing to fund a team of representatives who can match the commercial's (paid) reps.

Much of what he said made sense and if the AT's management can gain the trust of sea anglers by some early successes then perhaps the membership will grow as hoped.

It's a catch 22 though, for without the regular membership funding they are restricted in hiring good reps, like say the RSPB have access to. Many are experts in their field (pun intended).

WWF have put up some grant aid and other commercial sponsorship is being sought from the tackle trade.

The reward system looks quite interesting, where spending money in some of the high street stores and on-line with a credit card automatically registers for discounts off of a freshwater licence and may be extended to tackle retailers, so that it may be possible to offset the AT's annual membership by getting a discount on other purchases. I think it equates to 4p in the £.

This may sound like a gimmic, but a lot of clubs and membership groups offer rewards points and it works for them. I think that this does indicate a more modern approach to angler representation, where members get tangiable ancilliary benefits as well as (I hope) some serious professional representation.

Cheers

Steve

I don't get where this idea that the 'commercials' are our biggest threat comes from. They have more of a vested interest in there being decent fish to catch than, say, Nasty Nature, Greenpeace, etc. When it comes to MCZ's, I'd have thought that we'd want to find common ground with them.

Okay, some of their practices may not sit well with many, but I don't think even the 'commercials' enjoy throwing back discards, in the main. They're obeying rules set out by the 'clever' people.

Personally, I think any sea-angling representative who campaigns for total catch-and-release sea angling is the biggest threat to my hobby. I'd gladly pay £20 to get rid of that lot. And if there's any left over, they can use it to get rid of the bag-limit brigade.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Personally, I think any sea-angling representative who campaigns for total catch-and-release sea angling is the biggest threat to my hobby. I'd gladly pay £20 to get rid of that lot. And if there's any left over, they can use it to get rid of the bag-limit brigade.

I didn't see anything on the AT's agenda re. compulsary C&R or bag limits, but if anyone is against either or both, they can tell the AT so, whether they cough up the £20 or not.

All it costs is the price of a stamp ;)

Okay, some of their practices may not sit well with many, but I don't think even the 'commercials' enjoy throwing back discards, in the main. They're obeying rules set out by the 'clever' people.

Sorry Elton, I would have to disagree with that. I aint talking your general under 10's like Wurzel who fish a few nets and some lines, im talking the big boys. They follow the mighty £$ and if that involves killing and discarding tons of undersized unwanted fish in the process then they wont bat an eyelid. They have been doing this for years but only started admitting to it of late when they tried to use it as a weapon to acquire more quota.

I understand where your coming from with the catch and release antis but make no mistake that the NFFO are putting the boot in from the other end too.

I didn't see anything on the AT's agenda re. compulsary C&R or bag limits, but if anyone is against either or both, they can tell the AT so, whether they cough up the £20 or not.

I didn't say it was on their agenda, Steve. As a member, I certainly hope it never is, either ;)

Hi Steve,

Sometimes its not what is said, but it is what is not said.

Hi Steve,

Sometimes its not what is said, but it is what is not said.

Don't worry Glenn - Elton and I are both members and we'll watch 'em like hawks.

I've recently saved myself 20 quid a month by stopping my daughter's pocket money.

Well she is 23 :rolleyes:

I've put the money I'm saving towards the AT membership and with the £220 a year left over I've promised myself a trip to Ireland, but I might have to cut the son's pocket money too for a few beers whilst I'm there - He's 24!!!

I've recently saved myself 20 quid a month by stopping my daughter's pocket money.

Well she is 23 :rolleyes:

:lol:

Don't worry Glenn - Elton and I are both members and we'll watch 'em like hawks.

Im pleased Elton is fighting for his hobby, and he seems to have worked out who the bad guys are, its good news as far as im concerned. Seems the penny drops for everyone at some point B)

Edited by glennk

I'm not really interested in fighting, Glenn. My 'dream' would be for everything to be out in the open and for anglers' interests to be given priority over any personal agendas and political jostling.

All I'll do is do whatever I can to try to keep things as transparent as possible by asking a few questions when I have the time. If the Angling Trust morphs into the vehicle to deliver the aspirations of the UK's (well, England's) sea anglers, then I'll carry on paying my membership gladly. I've got nothing against them. Well, I probably wouldn't, if anyone could tell me who they actually are.

I know, personally, quite a few people on opposing sides of all this political stuff. Doesn't stop them being my friends - they just see things differently to each other, and sometimes me, that's all. I fished with Leon Roskilly for a while on Friday. Weather permitting, I'll fish with Steve Coppolo this week. It would be interesting to get them fishing together one day :D

On a purely personal level, I just want to be left alone to go fishing. As I've said before, most of the time it's a form of escapism for me. It's not a sport. It's not even a very social thing. I like the solitude.

I'm a miserable old sod :)