Latest on Ebay uk?

Chris Goddard

What do we all reckon to the no listing fees fro .99p listings and a FLAT rate 10% fee?

Personally I think it could just drag ebay outa the deep and dank!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

That's not a universal change. More details Here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's good for people listing at 99p and expecting to sell for a low amount. It's not good for anyone else unfortunately.

Item sells for £200

Old fees in a normal category would have been : £11.55

Old fees in technology category would have been : £6.17

New fees in any category are now £20.00

This change only affects private sellers though, business sellers fees are unchanged.

Paul. (Who's not very happy about the change..)

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

still far cheaper than auction houses ,we ended up getting 75% of the final fee and the buyer was charged 15% for the privilege of buying it.

even 10% is nothing with the prospect of a worldwide audience and (if your lucky) a better price than a collection of dealers in a musty saleroom.

the far eastern collectors in a few cases have bolstered my sales from mediocre to spectacular.my last 3 sales were flops because i forgot to use the worldwide sales dooda (dammit )

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

1. At least in an auction house your item will be seen.

2. In an auction house, you pay a percentage, and no up front fees.

3. In an auction house sale you are unlikely to end up owing the 'house' more than you earned.

Until ebay realise that sellers need a profit share bigger than ebay's share it will stay in the mire.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

3. In an auction house sale you are unlikely to end up owing the 'house' more than you earned.

Until ebay realise that sellers need a profit share bigger than ebay's share it will stay in the mire.

but you wont have many seeing it,you certainly wont have 99% of the worlds ebay users coming over to see it

no upfront fees in ebay you pay what you owe at the end of the month

you still will pay catalogue and "insurance" fees if your item doesn't reach a reserve price in most auction houses ;)

the "profit" part isnt ebays fault its the sellers paying to much to buy their products in the first place or expecting too much profit from an unprofitable item.

theres profit in everything all you have to do is sell it for more than you spent on it.

i start my actions at the very least what i spent on an item and its listing fees ,if it doesnt sell you just pay a few p for the privilege then you blame yourself for buying it at the wrong price :D in my case it ends up in the positive end overall.

theres always someone looking for what you have ,a few million eyes are better than a hundred in an auction room and percentage wise have more chance getting rid of your grans ceramic little man sitting on a bench (you know the one i mean ) :D

no-one twist your arms to use Ebay after all

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

but you wont have many seeing it,you certainly wont have 99% of the worlds ebay users coming over to see it

no-one twist your arms to use Ebay after all

Unless of course some @$$hole gives a poor DSR. Then no-one can find your items.

No, no-one twists my arms, thats why I stopped using it, both to sell and buy. Like many other small sellers, I used to spend at least half my profits buying items. Now I do not sell, I don't have money in my paypal account, so I don't bother looking for stuff to buy either.

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

"I used to spend at least half my profits buying items"

So you kept half your profit then and now you have none to keep. Hmmmm

I sell when I can make enough profit to satisfy me and don't really worry who gets the rest. I'd love lower fees but only if if came with similar exposure and sales.

I'm not sure what ebay UK does with their fee income. eBay.com pays out a substantial portion of theirs on advertising including to affiliates who can get up to 75% of the final value fee if the sale came from one of their links. I'm told that (payment for affiliate links) is not the case with UK listings.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My one and only foray into an auction house.

Put an item in with a $250.00 reserve.

Item was sold for $150.00

i complain and am told "oh we don't know how that happened, we will make up to $250.00,we apologise for the mistake."

As i don't live in the city and wasn't at the auction to see what went on i will never know what happened.

Will not be doing again though.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

"I used to spend at least half my profits buying items"

So you kept half your profit then and now you have none to keep. Hmmmm

Now my profits come through different avenues. Instead of selling studies etc on feebay, I sell direct through my blog, and through other online stores. As a "small" seller, (below $1500 a month) my sales have reduced by about 20%, my fees have reduced by 30% so in fact I am up 10%. At the same time I get a better price by selling in online stores than by auction, I just moved my stock from ebay elsewhere.

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..