Strange Japanese Sea Creatures

corydoras

Youtube Video ->

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

love the little orange thing at the start, what on earth is that little thing

A Frogfish!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

love the little orange thing at the start, what on earth is that little thing
Like Worms said it's a frogfish Andy, I think they are related to Angler Fish

Here is another for you. BTW I think you painted a face on that ones rear end.

Youtube Video ->
Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Andy

I was around in the seventies and saw one then

I think its a Flump! :huh:

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Good stuff. Thanks all.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Very interesting, am I right in assuming the almost hairy covering of the frog fish are poisonous feelers? and was that a juvenile following on?
I don't THINK any of the frogfish are poisonous, despite the fact that many of their close relatives (stonefish, toadfish, scorpion fish) are. I think the hairs are just cammo.

I'm not sure if that was a juvenile, or whether it was a Moslem frog fish and that was his Mrs scampering along behind. ;)

I don't THINK any of the frogfish are poisonous, despite the fact that many of their close relatives (stonefish, toadfish, scorpion fish) are. I think the hairs are just cammo.

I'm not sure if that was a juvenile, or whether it was a Moslem frog fish and that was his Mrs scampering along behind. ;)

Frogfish are not poisonous but are frequently brightly coloured. The young of some species mimic toxic flatworms to deceive predators. It is more likely that the smaller one is the male hoping to mate with the larger (as in most angler fish) female. If they are Moslem she's obviously been reading spare rib!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Frogfish are not poisonous but are frequently brightly coloured. The young of some species mimic toxic flatworms to deceive predators. It is more likely that the smaller one is the male hoping to mate with the larger (as in most angler fish) female. If they are Moslem she's obviously been reading spare rib!
I was intrigued by the way they 'walked' along the sea floor. Have you read about Tiktaalik?

There is a very good talk on YouTube by Neil Shubin, the palaeontologist who found the fossil, if that sort of thing floats your boat. It's not a short clip, its a 1 hour and 15 minute talk.

It was filmed at Cleveland Museum of Natural History and was posted by Case Western Reserve University as part of the Year of Darwin celebrations.