Loading braid???

mpbdsnu

I just bought myself 3x Shimano Big Baitrunner 'M's = the "Big Blues"!! (Certainly more money than sense LOL)

I aim to load them with braid, and not having used braid before, the question is:

How much tension do I apply when loading braid mainline onto the spool of a reel? The same as I would apply with Mono? More tension? Less tension?

All advice gratefully recieved :D Many thanks.

I would recommend you back it with mono, this stops the braid bedding on itself too much.

I reel mine on using "normal" tension the same as mono.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

In general, I load braid on much tighter than mono. Otherwise I have horrible problems with it "bedding" in the spool.

The nylon backing is good. If you prefer to load the entire spool with the braid and want to avoid the slipping around the spool it is prone to, you can put a wrap of electrician's tape around the spool before you start to wind the line on. Works great.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi all, I always back my braid with mono.

What I do is,

1) put the braid straight onto the new/empty spool and fill.

2) I fill the spool to just below the lip before adding a good outer layer of mono, right up to the lip.

3) get a new/empty spool and spool up from the loaded spool. That way all the mono goes on first, followed by the braid, right up to the required level...no waste!

Tension wise, I load my braid to the same tension as I did mono, but the braid always bed's down more than mono would. A few big chucks would soon sort it out!

I'm now using Power Pro (Rob Thompson, Game On Tackle Ltd, 01590 612608) which is absolutely awesome, love it, love it, love it! (thanks for the tip Newt )

Hope that helps.

[ 12 March 2002, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Gaffer - PowerPro RULES!!

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A few tips using braided mainline -

Spooling Up – Leave at least enough monofilament to cover the bottom of the spool. When you put monofilament onto your spool, it stretches significantly even with a very small amount of tension. This stretch makes the line squeeze the barrel of the spool, gripping it tight. Braided ines don’t stretch, so you don’t get this gripping action on the barrel of the spool. Attach the mono to the braided line using a ‘Grinner to Grinner knot’.

Do not overfill the reel - leave at least 1/8" of rim at the top to reduce the incidence of whip knots.

Good luck.

Chris 'Essex Man' Woodrow

Chris Woodrow:

Attach the mono to the braided line using a ‘Grinner to Grinner knot’.

Do not overfill the reel - leave at least 1/8" of rim at the top to reduce the incidence of whip knots.

Thanks for the reply Chris - my next question was going to be re; the knot :)

But leaving 1/8"in at the rim puzzles me somewhat - i have always been of the view that it is best to fill right to the rim? particularly with carp fishing and the regular need to cast longer distances?

Reduce chances of wind knots significantly by doing this.

Grinner to grinner, I think there is a picture of how to tie it on the Power Pro website, check it out there. If not, I can post you a photocopy, let me know.

Cheers,

Chris