Fishing Eels in London

Pike71

Must admit Ive never seen them in either of the supermarkets!

When I comercially netted (late 80's) eels only "silvers" caught from salt water really held much demand but in later years "yellows" were also accepted.This may have been down to the decreasing numbers I dont know.

Yes, they sell them jellied in small, (and very expensive!), tubs. And very nice they are, too. I think Sainsburys sell them as well. A neighbour of mine bought a large bowl of jellied eels from Billingsgate market at Christmas, which worked out a lot cheaper than buying them in small tubs. I remember when we were kids, whenever we were sick, my Dad would always ask what we would like to eat more than anything else. I always wanted jellied eels, so he would jump in the car and drive to Aldgate to get some from Tubby Isaac's stall.

I find the eels that come out of the sea have tougher skin and more fat in them. I prefer eels from freshwater.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Budgie I think your response is too strong in the context of the original post, not everyone enjoys your vast wealth of knowledge for all things angling. There’s no need to be disrespectful to those who don’t, we’ll probably not see Pike71 again

As for “blame” and being “childish” well if I’d received a response like that I’d tell you where to shove it!!!!

I presume youve not bothered to read pike71's later post then Rusty? the words "nieve","childish", I have used are simply references to his use of them.

Im not the one who has given him a hard time Im merely being straight with the guy and despite him spitting out the dummy when he didnt get the answers he wanted trying to explain why and encourage him to stay.

You seem to have a problem when I specificly express a veiw that people may not want to hear?I have no guilt over this as I feel I try to be fair and always try to justify my responce.

I fail to see what my knowledge or lack of knowledge on angling has to do with this.Im not belittling Pike71's knowledge as I have nothing to judge this by.I for one would be interested in his experiences back in Italy and as such thought my response explained why he recieved the replies he did so stopping him from leaving. Not that in all probability he would have made any.His agenda being simply to catch eels for the pot.BUT I extended him the benifit of the doubt.

In fact absolutely nothing to do with his origonal post so I fail to see how my later reply (which you quoted) can be linked so directly to this?

Didnt read all the thread by any chance?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes, they sell them jellied in small, (and very expensive!), tubs. And very nice they are, too. I think Sainsburys sell them as well. A neighbour of mine bought a large bowl of jellied eels from Billingsgate market at Christmas, which worked out a lot cheaper than buying them in small tubs. I remember when we were kids, whenever we were sick, my Dad would always ask what we would like to eat more than anything else. I always wanted jellied eels, so he would jump in the car and drive to Aldgate to get some from Tubby Isaac's stall.

I find the eels that come out of the sea have tougher skin and more fat in them. I prefer eels from freshwater.

Ah I see i assumed it was fresh or smoked eels! I dont eat them so wouldnt know what either taste like but like I said the trade definately prefered silvers.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ah I see i assumed it was fresh or smoked eels! I dont eat them so wouldnt know what either taste like but like I said the trade definately prefered silvers.

I've never had them smoked, but I'm told that is the best way to eat them.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

You seem to have a problem when I specificly express a veiw that people may not want to hear?

Nope not at all, or when anyone else expresses such a view. Yes I did read the entire thread, what I saw was someone asking a simple question and then being lambasted for wanting to catch eels to eat. He's then told that he should've expected such a response and that the flak could've been even worse.

I think the point could've been made in a different way.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

what I saw was someone asking a simple question and then being lambasted for wanting to catch eels to eat.

And thats what i thought he would get, but i didnt see it from Budgie.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Regardless of what some may think they know, eels are in a serious decline. It is estimated that the current run of eels to the UK shores is approximately 2% of the 1978 stock.

Which is why the whole of the E.U states are trying to safeguard the eel population for the future, not just for the few nutters who fish for them and return them, but because it is a food source for man and beast, and hopefully if the eel recovers it could be enjoyed by all.

If the eel population was sustainable I would have little problem with anyone taking the odd one for the pot, depending of the size of the fish that is.

I still wonder what some on here would say if Pike71 stated he wanted to catch and eat barbel or tench, would any of you then tell him the best place to catch these???

I still wonder what some on here would say if Pike71 stated he wanted to catch and eat barbel or tench, would any of you then tell him the best place to catch these???

Think you would do better to liken it to some thing like salmon and sea trout, something that is regularly taken to eat and who's numbers are dropping and have been for a long time.

Doesn't bother me if someone wants to take an odd coarse fish if its sustainable and not of specimen size.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I've never had them smoked, but I'm told that is the best way to eat them.

With hindsight, and having read all that has gone before, I should have made this post at the beginning of the thread, so here it is now.

It is generally accepted amongst scientists, environmental organisations and bodies such as the EA that european eel stocks are close to, or may be at, a level that is biologically unsustainable. The Eel Management Plans that are now in place across the EU are intended to address this, but it may be too little, too late. In this circumstance, we (the National Anguilla Club) feel that to take even a single eel is morally incorrect, does not aid the survival of the species, and sends the wrong sort of message. Eels are arguably one of the finest eating fish but that is not a good reason for killing a fish that is in a precarious position. Bear in mind, too, that the eel cannot be bred in captivity. The whole stock relies on succesful spawning in the Sargasso. We cannot make up any shortfall. As for taking the odd eel from stillwater making no difference, we should remember that, once they have reached sexual maturity, eels will return to the sea to spawn at any size or age, if conditions are correct, and they are given the opportunity. So that odd one taken could be, or grow into, a big female that will produce huge quantities of spawn, and it might just tip the balance.

Buying a tub of jellied eels, or a pack of eel sections for bait doesn't help either, because we feed the commercial operation, which operates on a supply and demand basis.

Commercial eel fishing is only one of the threats facing the eel: climate change, pollution, barriers on rivers, predation, pollutants, disease-you name it, the eel is affected by it. I implore all thinking anglers not to add to the list.

So the plea is: Put all eels back, and do not buy them to eat or use as bait. The loss of one species from the system would be disastrous, and will impact on many other species. If you catch an eel by accident or design, always put it back, even if you cannot remove the hook. They do survive, and have a remarkable ability to shed hooks. If you are fishing for them deliberately, strike at the earliest opportunity, and use barbless hooks. For more info, see: www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk

Mark Salt

General Secretary, National Anguilla Club

• Like 1