Use Of RSS Feeds

glennk

Is it legal to embed peoples RSS feeds into your own site ??
Normally yes. That's the whole idea of RSS. To allow sites to syndicate content to another site. Check on the site publishing the RSS feed, normally they will have terms and conditions regarding use of their RSS or Atom feeds.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Check with the T&C's and the site owner first, as it can get you into a lot of trouble. For example, my own T&C's contain the following:

However, reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited unless for personal use. None of the content of this web site may be copied or otherwise incorporated into or stored in any other web site, electronic retrieval system, publication or other work in any form (whether hard copy, electronic or other) without permission. For the avoidance of doubt, framing of this site or any part of it is not permitted without express permission.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton, youve certainly made me think differently now, I will be looking for terms and conditions in the future and contacting the site owner if needs be.

This is just what I thought (Up until yesterday) and I must admit that I hadn't looked into it. I thought RSS was published by sites to allow other webmasters to syndicate their content (As well as allowing people to follow updates in a reader). Most of the RSS I was using was just a one liner and a link back to the original site (Things like BBC weather, lifeboat launches etc).

But yesterday I looked at one and it syndicated the full article. I must stress I haven't used it and I wont without seeking permission first. But it came as a bit of a shock as every other RSS Ive ever seen only offers at most about 20 words of the full article.

Elton if you want to run my RSS on your homepage that would be fine, or if not your homepgae then the one with the next highest pr level. :)

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-ea...shing-news/feed

Edited by glennk