A Pro-active Angling Trust....

It's not often I disagree with Keith Arthur, we share mostly the same views on many of the politics within angling, we are both passionate members of Angling Trust and do everything we can to promote it.

Kings Lynn AA hold a club membership with Angling Trust, last year some of their club waters were illegally netted, the river Wissey to be specific, a couple of Eastern Europeans were caught complete with large nets, a motor boat,and other essential equipment to enable them to rape and plunder valuable natural fish stocks,informed opinion is they were doing this on a commercial basis, such was the level of the operation.

They were caught and prosecuted, all of their equipment was confiscated and they were ordered to pay £60 each for costs........ no court fine and no compensation for Kings Lynn AA.

To me, they got off very lightly, we do not even know if the equipment they used was purchased legally, but that aside, they got away with it in my book.

Now to the reason for this post, Fish Legal, the legal dept of Angling Trust have written to the two men asking the pair to make "an enforceable promise" that they will never again fish any of KLAA clubs waters, if they refuse to comply, then Fish Legal will apply for County court injunctions against them trespassing on club waters.

Keith seems to think this is a petty waste of time and unenforceable, I could not disagree more.

For as long as I can remember I have longed for a pro-active angling organisation with bite, I believe angling now has it in the Angling Trust, if a Court injunction is taken out on these two thieves and subsequently broken by them they could be facing a custodial sentance...... that is a proper ,forceful deterrent and sends out a loud and clear message to fish thieves up and down the Country...... if you mess with our member clubs,if you steal their fish, we will be coming for you, we will seek you out and hunt you down, using the law we will bang you up!!!!

As a part time voluntary club Bailiff , a club that is a member of Angling Trust,my club ( with similar problems) can expect the same sort of protection offered Kings Lynn AA, I am greatly heartened by this stance, if the courts fail us in the first instance , we have a back-up , a potent back-up too!

Keith calls for more positive press regarding the Angling Trust in his piece, well Keith, if I were running a club with similar fish theft problems but dithering over the annual subscriptions to join the Angling Trust, I think this latest pro-active stance would have persuaded me to join.......and pronto too!

Here is a link; http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.asp?secti...ing+of+poachers

Edited by Bob Bradford

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to fish the river Wissey for Eels when I was a boy. The Wissey is a great Eel river, but some of the bream we used to catch whilst targetting them, were something else.

As for the threat from Fish Legal, I bet those eastern europeans are quaking in their boots.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Why not add your opinions to the thread we already have on this subject, here :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

To quote you from another recent thread Steve Coppolo,

"I would be more than happy to fork out £20 a year for someone to fight the issues, and people, that threaten my sport"

If the above is true and a genuine comment, it is hard to understand why you choose to be quite so sarcastic about Fish Legal Steve? when in fact, Angling Trust are doing exactly what you crave.

Elton, I apologise, I did not see the "other thread", although you have to agree, my thread does have an additional spin on it.

To quote you from another recent thread Steve Coppolo,

"I would be more than happy to fork out £20 a year for someone to fight the issues, and people, that threaten my sport"

If the above is true and a genuine comment, it is hard to understand why you choose to be quite so sarcastic about Fish Legal Steve? when in fact, Angling Trust are doing exactly what you crave.

Elton, I apologise, I did not see the "other thread", although you have to agree, my thread does have an additional spin on it.

Oh come on, Bob. Attempts to make someone promise not to do it again, come straight from the primary school teachers hand book. It's laughable. If that's the best we can hope for, I'm glad I kept my money in my pocket.

Do you, seriously, consider that these poachers have been dealt with?

Don't drink and drive.

I think it is perfectly clear the fish thieves got away lightly, and I have said so on my previous original post, as for the " Enforceable Promise" well I am not a qualified solicitor but I am guessing it is probably a legal prerequisite before applying for an injunction, in other words trying to settle the issue out of court (and showing that to be the case) before court action is sought, is always seen in a favourable light, thus strengthening the AT's case and making it more likely for a successful application for an injunction, this case could be setting a precedent , so you will appreciate it has to be handled correctly, in my view, this is the case Steve.

If these guys were taken to court by the ea and the 'fine' was the result. Then the angling association who's water they knicked the fish from are entitled to take out a private summons against them for reinbusement of the fish and the fishing, however, for all we know the thieves could be men of straw, that means that it would be a waste of time in any event.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

If these guys were taken to court by the ea and the 'fine' was the result. Then the angling association who's water they knicked the fish from are entitled to take out a private summons against them for reinbusement of the fish and the fishing, however, for all we know the thieves could be men of straw, that means that it would be a waste of time in any event.

That's what I can't figure, Barry. The EA prosecuted the poachers and fined them. (ha ha). Now the fishery can, if it wishes, mount a private case against them to recover losses. So, where does Fish Legal fit in to all this, apart from asking the poachers to promise not to do it again? What if the poachers don't promise? Or, worse still, have their fingers crossed whilst making the promise?

Don't drink and drive.

I think it is perfectly clear the fish thieves got away lightly, and I have said so on my previous original post, as for the " Enforceable Promise" well I am not a qualified solicitor but I am guessing it is probably a legal prerequisite before applying for an injunction, in other words trying to settle the issue out of court (and showing that to be the case) before court action is sought, is always seen in a favourable light, thus strengthening the AT's case and making it more likely for a successful application for an injunction, this case could be setting a precedent , so you will appreciate it has to be handled correctly, in my view, this is the case Steve.

All joking to one side, Bob, if it is the first step in putting a stop to this sort of thing, it has to be applauded. I still have my doubts about how effective they will be, though.

Don't drink and drive.

The Law is not terribly good unless a dictator manages it, OR the democratic Magistrates are 'kept in the dark/or well-informed' ...'by those who know'.

I'm aware of long antagonism between certain political animals on these forums.

I'm afraid the levels of the managing bureaucracy are streets ahead of you.

You talk suits and pensions, OK.

You are very silly, naive and at 1st base.

If you are truly a 'peer group', who will be more and more regulated and taxed, then you must be prepared to get or be organised and be professional in your negotiations.

You have zero control and hang on, having most of that left.

It's hard to make positive statements of policy or even less, demands, when you refuse to participate or negotiate.

So, what do you do?

Some of you do a do-do on each other!

You back off in the classic General Percival manner. (See Singapore)

We don't need more regulation.

So, we back off and back off and back off and are suspicious about the way we are becoming organised.

Meet them at every opportunity and formulate YOUR agendas.

Stop bloody whining .. it's gonna happen anyway.

If Steve doesn't stop whining soon, I'll be forced to support him (despite his sorta views) for a representative.

Otherwise be a tad more constructive, OK?

<_<