Some advice on equipment please

Rykko

I'm giving some consideration to taking up carping, but dont want to spend a small fortune on the gear (or rather the wife doesn't want me to :) )

What's your opinions on the carp outfit from Bennetts, comprising of the Zebco Cool 11ft 2 1/2 lb TC rod paired up with Zebco Topic TP 350 RC reel? A 2 rod outfit comes out at a penny under 90 quid which seems pretty reasonable.

Hi Rykko,

The Zebcos may be ok for a starter kit and I suppose it depends on how much carp fishing you intend doing and the size of the fish where you intend fishing. Remember though that you only get what you pay for and those reels in paticular would worry me a bit. Maybe someone has personal experience of them and could give you a bit more enlightment. Have you considered the second hand market?

Good Luck

Bill

Contrary view - if, as you say, you are considering carping, I think a very inexpensive outfit is a good idea to start with.

If you find you like it, you will certainly want to upgrade your gear but with a 2 rod combination for under £90, you should easily be able to sell the rods/reel used for a good portion of what you paid.

And most any gear can handle carp. I know the UK style is to spend big bucks for top quality gear but you will find a large number of US anglers doing nicely with a zebco 33 reel (about £13) and a rod costing less than that. Of course a year or two of routinely catching doubles and 20-30s will ruin the reel but at £13, that isn't so bad.

If you've seen the gear and like it, go for it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

For the amount of carping I will get the time to do, I reckon if I do take the plunge I'll go with this kit from Bennetts. I've never been that good an angler so I cant see me hitting into many doubles, let alone 20/30 lb'ers :-((

If by some miracle I do manage to get the hang of it, I can always pass the rods down to my lad when I upgrade.

It may be worth you looking at the Okuma reels. They do a baitrunner for £25 :)

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I was looking to get kitted for around the hundred quid mark, and I must admit that having seen the Badger outfit, coming with the pod, indicators, holdall, etc, that this could possibly be the better option.

stay clear of the badger set up.after taking the brother in law on a day session,he got the bug and asked my advice on cheap tackle.i'd seen the badger add in a mag and gave it to him to look at.he placed his order and a few days later it arrived a complete 2 rod set up.when i saw it,i felt guilty of wasting his money,the pod wouldn't stand a slight breeze never mind a big fish.the alarms packed in after the first session,the swingers looked like they came from a cheap xmas cracker.the rods where that flexible,the end eye tapped ye reel with a 2oz lead on.as for the reel,the less said.having given the lot to his brother to struggle with,he shopped around for good second hand gear,and now has a descent set up.it's true,you get what you pay for.----quattro---- .