A lighter outfit

Steve Walker

Good man! I'm looking forward to it already. I'm going to sort out all my fly gear this weekend. I might even have a drive over to the little stream and see if it's starting to look springlike. There's no fishing until 1 April, but I like to torture myself :)

Ordered! :yeah:

I know how you feel. There's a little stream near here that runs into the Thames. I'm really tempted to go sniffing around it, just on the possibility that I might see some fish. I've peered into it from a little stone bridge and seen nothing, but it looks as if it ought to have something in it. Now I just have to wait for my new toys to arrive.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was pretty good going - the reel and line I ordered yesterday afternoon arrived this morning!

Unfortunately, I accidentally ordered the #2/3 reel instead of the #4/5. Lovely little thing it was, I wanted to keep it (might be worth looking at one for your #2 rod, Anderoo), but I phoned the shop, Garry Evans in Cardiff, and he told me to post it back and he'd swap it, no problem. Had an email from Sonik saying my rod was being packed, so should have my new kit early next week. Mind you, I'd only have been playing with it on the lawn if it had all arrived today (and giving the neighbours further cause to doubt my sanity!).

Remember the proper reply for when casting on grass.

Stranger, looking at you funny: "Have you caught any yet"

You, with straight face: "You're the third."

Cheers,

OT.

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious"

Well, my rod has arrived, and though I'm waiting for the correct reel to come back, I couldn't help having a sneaky swish in the garden. It's very nice, and it is noticeably daintier than my other rod, which is what I wanted. Hopefully my reel will be here tomorrow, and with any luck there might be some trout on Thursday!

Thanks to all for your help, I'm sure I'll enjoy using my new kit.

Well, my rod has arrived, and though I'm waiting for the correct reel to come back, I couldn't help having a sneaky swish in the garden. It's very nice, and it is noticeably daintier than my other rod, which is what I wanted. Hopefully my reel will be here tomorrow, and with any luck there might be some trout on Thursday!

Thanks to all for your help, I'm sure I'll enjoy using my new kit.

On reflection perhaps you should have bought a much longer rod! B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

La la la I can't hear you la la la :P

No, I'm quite happy with my new toys. Reel tomorrow, hopefully, though I've loaded the line onto another reel (a System2 67L) in order to have a swish in the garden - very nice, just can't wait to point it at some fish now.

Remember the proper reply for when casting on grass.

Stranger, looking at you funny: "Have you caught any yet"

You, with straight face: "You're the third."

Not sure how you deal with the faintly amused look - I thought I'd spend a bit of my lunch break casting in the garden. My new reel has arrived, and I wanted to try it out. Unfortunately, my cat thought this was for his benefit. I marched down the garden, picked him up with the intent of locking him indoors, told him firmly "don't you dare chew my fly line, you monster" and then spotted next door's daughter hanging laundry out and smirking. Having been caught not only fishing on the lawn, but arguing with the cat, I thought a sheepish grin and a retreat indoors the most dignified course of action.

• 4 months later...
Run away! Run away!

I've just had a very helpful chat with Alan, from within his local tackle shop. Unfortunately, it turns out that the very well priced SLV is the wrong size, but I think I'll buy one online. So, today I'm going to order:

Sonik #3/4 8'

Okuma SLV #4/5 + spare spool

Snowbee DTF4

At some point in the future I'm going to add a 7ft Shakespeare Odyssey #4/5, which only costs 20 quid, and a WF5 for the other spool. Thanks for everyone's help, it's been really useful.

Sorry for the resurrection but I wondered how you got on with the reel and line Steve? I now have a 4/5 weight 8 foot rod intended for small stream work and I’m struggling to find a small reel.

My existing fly gear is quite old so I’ve lost touch with today’s good lines. How are you finding the DT?

I’ve also noticed that reels don’t have ratchets anymore, is that a noise pollution thing?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I'm very happy with the whole outfit. Absolutely lovely to fish with. The reel seems robustly engineered and is light enough. The Snowbee line is very limp, with no memory, and casts very nicely. I've used it for my small river trout fishing, a bit of coarse fishing and one accidental (and very entertaining) day on Farmoor reservoir when I put the wrong rod in the boot. Very pleased, and would recommend it.

I've actually bought another Sonik rod too - I broke my old Wychwood, so I've bought a Sonik SK4 9'6 #6/7 to replace it. Very pleased with that too, though having had a demonstration of what it can do from Mr Roe, I know I'm not really getting the most out of it! :lol:

Line and reel arrived today, very impressed with the reel.

The line didn't come with a 'reel end' tag so I tried to figure out which end would come off the top of the spool....and got it wrong. As I wound the line on to the reel it became obvious that I was dragging it up from the bottom of the spool.

Question is does it matter? It's DT line so if the fat bit is in the middle of the 30 odd yards I should be ok, or do you think I should reverse it?

This is going to take some getting used to, my existing fly gear is all WF 8/9 with corresponding rods. I've used lighter DT set ups before and prefer it but it sure does expose any weaknesses in casting technique (read "the fly didn't go as far as I thought it would")

It's never a 'six', let's put it back