Casting aerodynamics!

Gaffer

There's a lot of talk in mags and on the net regarding the aerodynamic shapes of leads and how they behave in flight.

After having a play at some extreme range casting I couldn't see much difference in the way the lead behaved from shape to shape. (The leads I tried were the zip style, the pear, a ball lead and a flat bottomed pear.)

So, is lead aerodynamics a 'load of toffee' or is there some science in it?

I my opinion there are far greater influences on distance casting or hitting the spot accurately than lead design.

I would have thought casting technique and rod/reel and line performance would feature more highly in achieving accurate / long casts. :) just an opinion you understand , not based on any technical knowledge. :D

Depends wholly on where I am casting too. If I wat the bait on the side or top of a feature I'll use a flat profile lead to stop it rolling. If I am happy for it to be at the base a rounder lead is used.

As for aerodynamics or air resistantance the distances we are talking about would hardly count it as a factor. Now when we get to the point when you need to be able to chuck 300 yards + then lead shape may become an issue.

Cheers

Andy

ANMC Member, Go on you want to too !

I'd have thought that unless you're straining for every last inch then the difference to most anglers would be very little. Far more significant would be the ring spacing, line lay and even smoothness of the line you're using.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

i think the shape makes little difference only the actuall widest point of the lead (resistance ) this is because although the lead may be nicely aerodynamic in design there is now way to make sure it goes through the air aerodynamicaly ( look at rifle bullets ,aerodynamic and shot from a rifled barrel ,but watch it in ultra slo-mo it wobbles all over the place) compare the ideal conditions of a bullet and a lead with line ,bait etc :( probably the best all round weight would be ....well an all round one (ball) :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I don't think lead aerodynamics are a load of toffee, but in accordance with the other posters on this thread I think it makes very little difference to the average Carper.

You need to have everything else set up & operating to maximum efficiency to gain any benefit from the lead design.

Important on the tournament field, but on your local water?

Lead design for me is far more important at close to middle range.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Rob Hughes and Simon Crow reported on experiments they did on this subject in their book "Strategic Carp Fishing".

They concluded that "lead choice is a vital aspect of distance fishing and even over 100m the correct choice of lead can add up to a massive 17m to your cast".

You'll have to read the book for the full results, but they tested 6 different designs of leads including some in-line ones, and measured the distances to a tenth of a metre (4 inches).

Having said all this I agree that cating ability, the rod, and the diameter of the line make even more difference.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I agree and I tihnk I said that there would be a difference in extreme distance but I would doubt if that applies to 99% of anglers, certainly not me anyway !, despite what they think.

I was going to mention that Mike but had a blonde moment and couldn't remember where or whom had said it.

Cheers

Andy

ANMC Member, Go on you want to too !