How it used to be.

Peter Waller

Around a hundred and fifteen years ago this would have been quite a common sight on the Broads. Bowler hats, ties and suits! As we do today the boats are moored with the flow. What is uncommon today are the mooring poles, as good and useful as they are. Mooring poles were in common use up until about 40 years ago. There is no sign of any reels, thus proving that Broads anglers were ahead of their time!!

The photograph was taken by a man called Payne-Jennings and published in a book called Sun Pictures of the Norfolk Broads and published in 1891.

Posted Image

By the direction I reckon this is taken on the ebb, long recognised as the best time to fish. Although the location is not identified I'm pretty certain its the River Waveney up river of St. Olaves, place called Herringfleet. The tide fairly hosses through there and the river is deep, certainly deeper than the length of the rods. So did they hand line the fish to the boat's side?

[ 20. December 2004, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The chairman of our club used to fish in a suit and looking at the old photo's in the working mens clubs all the trophy winners wether it be Billiards, fishing or anything else, they were all dressed a hell of a sight better that we do today. Protocol demanded it.

I had a bit of an idiosyncracy when I went fly fishing, I would always wear a tie but it's still a long way off the above. I'm sure it was something to do with the 'sabbath' if that was the only free time they had to fish and they'd been to church in the morning and we had 'sunday best' clothes even in my childhood.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Great photo, Peter - only you didn't say which of those anglers is you.

Also, check out the ghost fishing from the bank near the cows.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

The 'ghost' was Payne Jenning's 'man'. The man appears in many of his photographs as a prop. In this case it looks as if he has herded the cows to where Payne-Jennings felt the composition benefitted from the presence. He also uses cows in a number of his other Broads pictures. Terry, as a photographer, I'm sure you'll agree that if you picture the photograph without the cows then the composition falls apart

As for me being in the picture, could have been my Great Grandfather. Wouldn't have been Grandfather as his rod had a reel, and I still have it!

Pete if they are fishing the Ebb that means they are in the better county of the two.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Pete if they are fishing the Ebb that means they are in the better county of the two.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Guest sslatter

Peter.. I have a copy of "The Angler's Pocket Book" by J. Wentworth Day (1957) that contains some of the most evocative old-style angling prose, particularly about "The Pike- The Water Wolf" and Fen and Broad pike history. Perhaps you know this book?

"When Murray, Gamekeeper to Viscount Kenmure, had the prinkish fancy to make a great fly out of the eye-feather of a peacock's tail, somewhere about 1790, he made pike history. John Murray threw his fantastic fly on the waters of Loch Ken, hoping, one supposes, to catch a mermaid.

Up came a great fish, with a boil of white foam, and a face like a wolf.."

He also writes: "Personally, I would say that Fritton Lake in Suffolk, which belongs to Lord Somerleyton, is the finest pike water in all England. <SNIP> Listen to the tale of the Rev. Mr. Stevens. That sporting parson, fishing in the Winter of 1947 off the lawn, caught one 25 and a half pounder, one 25 pounder, three 24 pounders, and no less than ten 16 pounders- all in one day! Meditate on that, ye mighty ones of Slapton Lea and Fordingbridge, of Heigham Sounds and Hornsea Mere!"

Great stuff.

[ 21. December 2004, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]