are these rods good or bad

murphy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at 2 for 20 quid you certainly have got yourself a very good price.

I've never heard of them, but surely you can't go wrong at that price. I used budget rods for years, the one problem I maybe had was sometimes losing fish close in as the rods were a bit too stiff if the fish went on a sudden surge and either the hook would pull or the fish would "bounce" off, this could be got around by loosening the clutch and not being too impatient playing a fish. I certainly caught many decent fish & had several years good service outta my 1st carp rods, which are still in decent order & now stored away in the garage.

Are you new to carping Murph???

murphy:

I have recently bought some of these rods brand new at 2 for £20 and they seem ok. does anyone reckon it was a good decision?

‘Dynamo’ 12ft 2 Piece Carp Rods - Carp Silver

https://prossl.co.uk/dragoncarpdirect.com/a..._carp_rods.html

DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!

You get what you pay for these days, 'nuff said!!

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

There is probably nothing wrong with the rods, if you are happy with fibreglass.

They will have a softer action than carbon, but should be perfecly adequate for margin to medium range fishing and will no doubt catch lots of carp.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Dragon are not very flexible on poastge costs are they - courier only FOR ALL ITEMS.

I only wanted a small clip on led and two sets of spare batteries - cost for these 6 quid

Cost of postage A TENNER - daylight robbery!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Norfolkdan:

What was your biggest carp landed on the "cheapy" rods Rabs?

I've caught carp up to 20lb on them Dan, they certainly gave me good service during a time when I couldn't afford to pay anymore.

Budget rods these days are probably far better than they have ever been. Our business sells a lot of rods to the beginner/intermediate angler, many of which would be very pleased with a 10lb carp and many not really looking for more than a good low double. I'd be fairly confident going to 20lb with one, possibly beyond.

Pricing is definitely a matter of choice. Regardless of opinion you do 'not always' get what you pay for, although I do agree that paying more will generally buy better gear. Reels are a classic example, and many of the cheaper 10 and 12 bearing reels are so smooth Shimano would have struggled to beat them a few years ago. Still though, people will spend up to ten times the price on a piece of equipment that is maybe better quality but one has to look at whether the 'improvement' is truly worth the massively hiked price tag - especially to a beginner.

Last season I witnessed a lad take a carp of at least 15lb last year on a six or seven foot shakespeare bright red effort that probably cost less than a tenner (with a single bearing rear drag reel). Didn't even have a bite alarm (just threw a ledger in and watched his line). A fish he'll probably remember for life, and frankly the experience was probably worth many times what the rod cost.

I and most others watching blanked that day....it definitely is not all in your tackle.

Ian W

Tony U:

There is probably nothing wrong with the rods, if you are happy with fibreglass.

Also if you like fishing when there is lightning in the forecast, glass is lots safer than carbon so maybe if you later get carbon rods, keep these for 'bad weather' spares.

I'm assuming Tony is familiar with them or else dug out some detail I missed to know they are glass. If so, while they will be a little heavier and a little less stiff, they will be lots less fragile and will tolerate more abuse than carbon can. There are even those of us who prefer the softer action for some situations.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President