My first Carping Session - DEADLY Sweetcorn !!!!

craynerd

Hey guys, i`m really getting into this carping now!! I`m loving it !

Went to Bradshaw on Wednesday and fished red and white maggots all day, roach, roach and a few more roach is what i caught. A fun day dont get me wrong and i wasnt geared up for carping that day anyway. Went on Thursday on the quiver for carp. Size 10 with 3 to 4 maggot on and not a bite for 2 hours. Decided to switch to the hair rig with two pineapple boilies 10mm and got a nice carp within 10 mins :D very happy. By now me and another angler who i was talkin to had been fishing for above 3 hours, he`d had nothing, not a bite and i`d had my one carp. Two more hours passed and I had nothing not even a twinge and my buddy had gotten a few small fish but not his targeted carp. Deciding that today was not going quite to plan, although happy i`d had my first ever carp i switched tactics again, and hair rigged 3 corn.....no sooner had i cast in than i was hooked onto my 2nd carp. Sweetcorn had certainly done the trick . Rebaited my hair and a repeat proformance occured, carp 3 . 30 minutes later i had carp 4 when my buddy pinched some corn and had his first of the day. I had 6 that day and my mate had 2, all in the space of a few hours on corn.

When Saturday came and i went back to the lodge with MY NEW CARP ROD (cheers kev!!) i was gutted to find a competition on until 1. After a bit of light entertaining float fishing on another lake i strolled up at 1 to grab a peg and watch the way-in..... The winner was a 6lb bag of 2 carp and second being a small bag comprising of a few roach. As i moved to my prefered peg i got told not to bother as ""they just aren`t feeding!" I asked what they`d been using and apparently everyone was on maggot. Within 10mins of me whipping out my 3 haired corn, i had a nice 4-5lb carp on the end of my line with another 2 to come later that day.

My point being....as a nooby to carping is sweetcorn always such a successful bait or why do you think i was catching.....i am a complete beginner so it certainly isnt skill it must have been the corn! This has blinded me a bit now for the future into thinking that anywhere i go corn should be my bait of choice .....is this the case ?

Sorry it got a bit long winded, but that is the account of my first carping sessions as well!! hope you enjoyed.....i certainly did....baught some scales today so i`m waiting on my first double figure fish !!

Chris

[ 13. March 2005, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: craynerd ]

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

I got pics of them in the net but i`m not holding any ....hence the post a few days back about holding fish !!! They haven`t been massive, maybe worth a picture of me holding one as its my first carp but hardly monsters...YET

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

You have a few basic baits for Carp, and if one doesn't work, ring the changes and you will usually find you will get a bite on sweetcorn, luncheon meat, bread, or as I saw posted earlier the "humble" worm.

:D:D:D

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Well done mate, I always have a couple of tins of sweetcorn in my bag, it's one of the most versatile baits I know and has never failed to catch me a fish.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

"Sweet Corn" = the stuff from the grocery in tins made for people food. Most of the 'sweet corn' being grown now is bred to have a higher natural sugar content than was the case years ago.

As opposed to "field corn" (maize in the UK I think).

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President