Redmire

Woodzzz

Thanks Woodzzz, an interesting article.

I took up this question of how long various strains of carp grow for with Bruno Broughton recently after reading Chris Ball's book "The King Carp Waters". Unless I got the wrong end of the stick, Bruno's opinion was that most strains of carp (not just Leney's) grow in length for about 15 years. After that they still often increase their girth (rather like me!) and thus continue to put on weight.

I stocked Wingham with a variety of strains to get a mixed gene pool. These included some Leney crosses, which have a very distinct shape. Other significant factors were the very low stocking density into a very rich ex-trout water that held no other species (i.e. similar to Redmire).

I totally agree with the observation that lack of fishing pressure is very important. I reckon it's significant that the last 4 record carp were little fished for during the period they were growing in length.

This is why I heavilly restrict the membership at Wingham, and I believe it's been a major factor in the tremendous growth rates acheived. However, few fishery managers can afford to look to the long term like this for financial reasons.

Bear in mind though that record fish are freak fish. The chances of a given water holding a record fish at a given time are remote - however good a venue it is. I'm aiming for as high an average as I can. A monster would just be a bonus.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

There was an hour long program called A Passion For Angling on Discovery Home & Leisure last Friday at 11.00pm on Redmire. It was with Chris Yates and was catching carp at 24lb. He was using all different techniques and even climbed up a tree with his rod to get one! You could see Carp all over the place in groups and on there own and really large sizes! Was a great program and I wish I can see it again because I didnt get it taped!! :)

jamie,

the passion for angling series is available in it's entirerity, from Hugh Miles, who filmed it. I'm not sure of the address, but it was discussed recently on a coarse fishing thread and details will probably be there somewhere.

If not, I'm sure someone will soon let you know.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Hugh Miles has an Advert in the current edition of Waterlog. All 6 of the 50 minute BBC films are available for £27 including postage & packing. An ideal Christmas prezzie!! (And worth EVERY penny!)

Cheques payable to Hugh Miles, Chilbrook Croft, Wimbourne Rd, Corfe Mullen, Wimbourne, Dorset, BH21 3EA.

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Those videos will always be the best of their kind. Especially the one on Redmire.

Two magnificent and versatile anglers and one of the most spectacular venues there is.

The original video's are fetching up to 250 quid at auction, and i'm ordering the whole series for christmas [but at the £27 2002 price :) ]

I cant remember how old they are does anyone know? Show a child any of those videos and you can be sure he will be an angler. I know the redmire tape has turned me into a dedicated carp fisherman and i only hope the same for many more

[As long as they dont cast into my swim when they get there :mad: :D ]

Hiya every-one,

my wife bought me the set in a box of two tapes with the whole series on. Genuine article, so if you want to give me £250 for them any one, there half the money for me to buy a bait boat. :D:D:D:D

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"