Fish sauce as an additive

cidermonkey

I'm pretty new to carping and I was thinking of boosting some dog mixer with Thai fish sauce and wondered A) if it would work and B)is it safe for the fish. The ingredients on the bottle simply state Anchovy extract, salt and sugar.

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

Fish sauce is good for dipping baits in! be carefull as you will soften the mixer if you add a liquid to it so it may come off the hair. The best way to do this would be to attach the mixer with a bait band and then dip the mixer before you cast. This way you will have a mixer with a high attract coating on it.

Cheers Guys! Had a session yesterday and whilst I had a few fish taking freebies dunked in the fish sauce, never got one to take the hookbait. I reckon it must have been my presentation - which I'll have a look at and try to revise. Nice to see the fish at least like the bait though!

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

Its great to put in your Boilie mix if you roll your own or use as a dip for commercially produced products. Soy Sauce is pretty good to.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Many, many years ago in the early days of floating crust (Jim Bazeley 1934 and E. Marshall Hardy about the same time) my mate Eric and I used to soak our crusts in Bisto gravy and dry them off a bit in the oven (Eric had a tolerant step-mother who even made the gravy for us).

I got the idea from my grandmother who used to make biscuits for her dog that way during the war.

These "dog-biscuits" seemed to attract carp better than plain white crusts.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Dunno about Carp but the stuff some folk use for Pike is 'Nam Pla' (Thailand) or 'Nuoc Nam' (Vietnam) fish sauce but to be honest, any fishy sauce will do the trick, even Worcester Sauce, which is made from fermented Anchovies.

Go to your local Chinatown or Oriental food supplers and they should have a fairly wide selection.

I'm fairly sure I got 'Nam Pla' from Asda last time.

fishsauc.jpg

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Other useful Oriental bait additives are Plum Sauce, Oyster Sauce and Black bean sauce (the fermentation adds to its attraction).

As all of these are nice and gooey they make great Boilie dips.

Tony

[ 11. August 2005, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

The one thing all these sauces have in common is that they taste very salty.Been quite convinced Carp like salt for some time and include it in all my mixes regardless of whether they are flavoured with a sweet or savoury flavour.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

They also contain high levels of naturally occurring MSG, which is also a useful bait additive used in moderation.

Tony