florocarbon?

Common 40

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tbh wouldn't bother unless you reckon this is an area that is causing you a major problem. supposedly doesn't cast as well, and have noticed that owing to the finish these types of line tend to pick up particulates in the water and stand out like tow rope. good line lay with a qualiy mono should be fine. i still use big game as never lets me down but everybody has their own favourites. gr60's dependable stuff, would avoid infinity duo though.

The main advantages I see with fluorocarbon line (and the main reason I have a rod or two spooled with it) are that

- the line is heavy enough to sink without needing some of the nasty stuff they add to most sinking lines

- the line does not absorb water like mono does and retains the same strength & behavior in water as on land

- the line resists sun damage nearly as well as braid

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

KRYSTONITE SUPER MONO is an excellent line for clear water carping, i started using this line when i joined my local club lake, ultra clear and very wary fish. krystonite review

Flurocarbon is more normally used for hook lengths.Ive never used it for mainline.Ive not used mono for years now but would have no problem reccomending Maxima "Chamelion" which I used without problem for many years before turning to braid.

I think fish feeling the line by bumping in to it is more of a problem than them seeing it.This can be overcome with the use of leadcore/backleads/slack lines as Im sure you are aware.

When surface fishing carp are often spooked by the line.This isnt as first seems because they see it but more by the shadow it casts.Easy answer here is to degrease it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

thanks guys, I will be giving the Krystonite a whirl. in fact spooling up with it this afternoon. The report reads excellent (allthough most do) But i must admit 0.31 diameter at 12lbs is pretty good and the fact that its a copolymer, coated flourocarbon to boot.

cheers for that twochay..

I like Krystonite, but am cautious about it's claims of low visibility.....lower visibility maybe. I use it for carp fishing, but for lighter work I use Terry Eustace's copolymer.

If it's fluoro-coated doesn't the substrate appear visible in water? It's only the coating that has the near-same Refractive Index as water.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine