Perky perch

Guest allibee

As Budgie said, seabaits are pretty hopeless for perch, certainly when fished static. Even if allowed, I find that lures are inferior to bait on coloured waters like commercials, and so worms are likely to be far and away the best option.

If you can't use live/deadbaits you may have to change the feeding from what I recommended in the article, although the principles remain the same.

In particular I'd suggest that, in addition to feeding flavoured maggots, you also feed a mixture of chopped and whole lobworms. However, I'd be less inclined to feed maggots so heavilly later on in the session as the perch could get preoccupied with stalking small fish.

One other tip is to take a leaf out of the match angler's book and feed two areas. In the first I'd feed both flavoured maggots and worms (mainly chopped), in the second I'd feed mainly worm, including a high proportion of whole or halved lobs.

I find it best not to fish the second area for as long as possible, and then to use the largest lob you can find. This can produce a really big perch immediately, not to mention other species -including specimen roach!

With this less heavy feeding pattern the fish won't be so concentrated on the bottom, and so you'll have to experiment with depths. Also, as Andy said, twitching the bait is well worthwhile. In fact, on many days, it can totally transform your catch!

I'd add that when I can't use live/deadbaits and concentrate the small fish to the same extent then location becomes more important. Light intensity followed by the right amount of undertow are the important factors, and further ideas are in the article I referred to earlier.

You should also find some of my other perch articles of help, in particular the one on habits and feeding. Go to http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/introsteve.htm

Finally, I've been asked about further articles in the series. I'm afraid I'm not yet making these available on the internet until my book is published. Then you'll be able to read more here on Angler's Net. In the meantime though I'll be happy to help with individual questions. Just bear in mind though that I don't know all the answers!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

It's a funny old water - stillwater - a little brackish not too far from the coast and the Adur.
I have caught perch, pike and cod from the same water in Sweden.

[ 28. August 2004, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Lid:

I have caught perch, pike and cod from the same water in Sweden.

The Baltic presumably, of which I have some fond memories.

Anyone know of any other water where you can catch pike on herring livebaits ?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Was fishing today and had a 2lb Perch on luncheon meat very weird never had that happen before,the next fish was a 4.5lb Chub !!!!also on LM

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

herring livebaits!

everyone and there and there dog uses lures over there!they say deads are too slows...never heard lives mentioned especially herring lives...was it successfull steve?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Ratty46:

herring livebaits!

everyone and there and there dog uses lures over there!they say deads are too slows...never heard lives mentioned especially herring lives...was it successfull steve?

We didn't use livebaits as we were on a trip with Rapala, including a visit to the huge Rapala factory.

I agree that almost everone out there uses lures. However, I strongly suspect that herring livebaits will have been tried at some stage - and almost certainly have caught pike.