First ones i have seen this year

JV44

Housemartins.... saw some yesterday down by a property we are working at next to the local chalk stream ,has any one else seen any yet out of interest??? Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Housemartins.... saw some yesterday down by a property we are working at next to the local chalk stream ,has any one else seen any yet out of interest??? Steve.

No, not yet but I saw a flock of 12 sand martins last week (Herefordshire) and a few swallows have been knocking about for about three weeks now in Milton Keynes as well.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Guest tigger

I saw my first swallows this year about a fortnight back and some sandmartins last week. Don't see many house martins anymore, everyone used to poke their nests along with Swift nests off the walls of their houses :unsure:

Saw some Sandmartins on a trip up the top end of the Thames last weekend but have not noticed any Swallows yet , Have started to pick up roadkill Pheasants of which there are plenty and chucking them in the field at the end of my garden to bring the Kites and Buzzards in close but the buggers keep flying off with the remains before i get a chance of a photo :wallbash: ,The colour differences of the Buzzards between individual birds is vast with some being vitually black and others with large white patches on the chest and very light colouring .

Dontcha just love springtime Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Guest tigger
Dontcha just love springtime Steve.

Certainly do it's my favourite time of year. I was watching buzzards at the back of our house today. When I lived in Anglesey we had a couple of very large Sycamore trees in the paddock and there was a Crows nest in one. I remember one day when there was a fight over it between a pair of carrions a pair of ravens and a pair of buzzards. Guess who won............the carrions :rolleyes: Gotta give em their due they where relentless and wouldn't give up.

Quote tigger ............the carrions Gotta give em their due they where relentless and wouldn't give up.

Yes you are right there i saw one dive bombing a Heron untill it moved near the marina recently ,the Rooks give the Buzzards a hard time here due to the number of chicks that they take from the rookery and have seen that Heron take several ducklings ,just nature new life arrives in spring and then promptly gets eaten ,Nature red in tooth and claw and all.....Steve.

Eleven AM today and the cuckoo arrived :) Hung around for an hour or two, and then it all went quiet. Hope he comes back tomorrow.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

We saw our first swallow in Newsham Park on Tuesday, but apparently they'd been there for over a week.

I saw a barn owl walking home this evening. I haven't seen one in the open for a few years - stunningly beautiful.

On one of my regular stretches to fish, we often see a long eared owl sat as large as life on the fence. We can walk past, less than 10ft away from it and it makes no effort to fly off.

A trip to Lake Vyrnwy is now well overdue.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

How did you know it was walking home? It might have been off to the pub.

MC

Yes concur as if he had been on the way home from the Pub he would have been crawling ,They just cannot hold there beer those barn owls :lol: ,

Stunning well jealous as a lad used to see more Barn Owls than Tawnys round my here but after the developers buying up and developing all the old Barns and Farmers turning derelict old farm buildings into small industrial/office units sadly no more ,See one when i walk to my brothers house that hunts along the reed beds alongside the stream and could sit and watch it for hours but that pair are the only ones locally to me anyway.

A pair of Kites are sat on top of a scots pine in the field soaked to there skins looking really fed up ,Havent heard the cuckoo yet but are they not under pressure from shooters/hunters on there migration routes?? .

Better go to work i suppose steve.