PowerPro Braid?

mpbdsnu

I'm actually good friends with one of the West Coast US Power Pro reps. So, I get alot of free line (doesn't help you much though lol).

But, I will say this much about hook pulls. Alot of times I put a mono shock tippet at end of line. Has helped quite a few loss fish days. Also, if you go straight powerpro to the hook, remember to give a light hookset. Too many people do the standard "Over the shoulder" hooksets with this line. You're in the running off the getgo of straightening that hook if you do that. Have been using it for awhile now. It's my preferred mainline on my rods. I will use a mono leader though (and on my plug rods I always put a 4' mono section to plug knotted in). Helped stop the fish from bending the hook out on me.

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts

http://www.steelheader.net

http://www.steelheader.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

dont fish over snags mate it will break like cotton i promise you its only got to touch a mussell, or tree with rough edges. (as does all blasted trees) and it will snap ....

fishing guide for catfish and carp

gaza:

dont fish over snags mate it will break like cotton i promise you     Of all the mainlines that I've used over 10 years of carpin' PowerPro is by far the best. I've used it for snag fishing and I've never been cut off, not once.

I will be honest though and admit that I've never fished outside the UK, whether that has any bearing on your response I'm not sure.

I've got 3 sets of rods using the following mainlines:

50lb PowerPro - Used most (4 rod set-up)

20lb PowerPro (3 rod set-up)

14lb Berkley Fireline - Used with 45lb Quicksilver Leader(3 rod set-up)

Gaffer - I've had the same experience. PowerPro rarely fails regardless of what sort of junk I'm fishing in. In fact, when I get hung and pull for a break, a slow pull will more often than not bend the hook. 50lb mainline to a 30lb hooklength.

Not only carp for me but catfish and two of the species I target are very fond of wood/trees/snags/etc. Like this spot that holds lots of them. And has rocks, wood, shells.

snag-city.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

50lb!

Is that to combat a naff abrasion resistance or are you fishing for catfish as well as carp these days?

It doesnt seem as though there would be much 'play' on 50lb line with a carp, doesnt it take the fun out of it?

Hi Woodzzz,

The stretch on braid is minimal, regardless of poundage.

Using my 3.5lb tc rods I can probably exert somewhere between 4lb to 6lb of pulling power, and I'm a pretty strong lad. So in terms of 'playing' a carp I can't see any sporting difference between using 8lb braid mainline and 50lb braid mainline. Hence no 'fun' is lost.

In terms of abrasion resistance there is no better braid mainline than PowerPro IMHO.

So why do I use 50lb braid? 50lb PowerPro is amazingly thin and casts like a dream. I can also get away with not using a shockleader when using heavy leads or The Method. Also, some waters have banned shockleaders, but that doesn't stop me casting to fish that may be at 140 yards plus.

So no need to send the police round just yet!

[ 06. July 2003, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

For me - I do target catfish with the same rods as carp.

I use limber rods and get the good feel (and fun) that way.

And most of my fishing is done where I can't afford to let the fish run certain directions. With a mono and 25% stretch, I don't have much control. With the PowerPro I do.

One other factor that you don't face is lots of boat anglers moving along with their trolling motor and casting wherever. I put a float on my line - not fixed but where it will stay where the line enters the water. Sort of a marker for me and for lure anglers passing by. But they tend to ignore at times and cast over my lines.

I will guarentee you that if one hooks my line, I will have his lure or maybe rod and lure or even rod, lure and boat on occasion. If he opens his bail and gives line freely, I will untangle and free his rig. Otherwise, I add a lure to my tackle.

Only ever had to bounce a 3oz weight off a boat hull once that I remember to convince an angry fella he really didn't want to come after his lure. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President