Would you fish this lake?

Raxs

It says the actual lake is 1.5 Acres, I think it looks very nice and has some promise but I would need to have the following information before I would consider buying it.

• Unless I am mistaken It says it is apporox 350mtrs along a walkway but can you reach it with a tractor or other vehicle if you needed to stock it or if you needed to get some digging/dredging/airiating equipment to it fairly quickly and easily?.

Can you put a small semi hidden metal container shed on site to keep a boat and any other equipment locked up safely? or is this against the planning regulations?

What depths are you faced with ie. is it very deep or does it have any shallow areas or is it very shallow and silted up?

How far is it from the nearest town?

Is there any factory unit upstream that has its outflow running into the inlet steam?

It looks very nice, I wish I could afford a similar lake.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

My main concern would be the stocking policies of the previous tenants.

If it's the usual stuff, then I would have to take into consideration how much it would cost, (in money, time and effort) to remove/reduce the 'nuisance' species, to attain a more 'natural' fishery.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

If it has a dam wall make sure the powers that be are happy with it. I know someone who has had to drop the water level by 50% just to keep them happy and that was after a survey didn't find anything wrong.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

If it's the usual stuff, then I would have to take into consideration how much it would cost, (in money, time and effort) to remove/reduce the 'nuisance' species, to attain a more 'natural' fishery.

Netting and sale to a dealer, followed by a good dose of rotenone for any that were missed? :whistling:

Probably not necessary to go to such lengths, you wouldn't need to eradicate, just to reduce to 1980s stocking levels - it's not as if the things are self-sustaining at these population densities.

It does look to me as a more promising trout fishery than coarse fishery, but I suppose it depends on the water quality and depth.

Edited by Steve Walker

One thing I would add other than the allready very good posts is to contact the club that used to lease the water.

I would definately want to know the back ground here.Things like why they are no longer leasing it,if they gave it up why? if they were pushed out they could be a potential problem. If they simply could not afford it anymore they could be a ready made customer base.They would also have a lot of information about the water ie any reccuring problems,the quality of fishing,the stocking/management policies if any over the years.

Also I would look at your own motives for buying the water.What do you want from it? a living? your own private fishing? a "hobby buisiness"? Once youve decided this then you need to see if your plans are feasable.

Have you any knowledge of fishery management? if not I would sugest you save yourself money and heart ache by getting some expert advice.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

John.

From what i can gather John it has been stocked with mixed course fish, I dont know yet what fish exactly are in there but a few weeks good fishing would give me an idea :)

One thing I would add other than the allready very good posts is to contact the club that used to lease the water.

I would definately want to know the back ground here.Things like why they are no longer leasing it,if they gave it up why? if they were pushed out they could be a potential problem. If they simply could not afford it anymore they could be a ready made customer base.They would also have a lot of information about the water ie any reccuring problems,the quality of fishing,the stocking/management policies if any over the years.

Also I would look at your own motives for buying the water.What do you want from it? a living? your own private fishing? a "hobby buisiness"? Once youve decided this then you need to see if your plans are feasable.

Have you any knowledge of fishery management? if not I would sugest you save yourself money and heart ache by getting some expert advice.

I would either run the fishery myself after doing some homework (addmittedly I am limited in fishery experience) or I would lease the fishery straight out. The club are still leasing until September if i remember correctly so I imagine they are happy with it.

Rich