Visiting London from the US

Donfish

Hi everyone My name is Don and I will be visiting London On Tues 4/28 AM leaving the following day back home Weds 4/29 PM.

I am a very avid Surf kayak and offshore angler here but know next to nothing about fishing in the UK.

I will be staying at a hotel near London/Heathrow airport and noticed a few ponds as well as some larger resevoirs nearby and would love the opportunity of sampling the fishing there. If someone could point me in the right direction as far as gear and lure recommendations and maybe a word or 2 of advice I would be very appricative. B)

I am a member of our local fishing forums and will be posting a pictorial account of my little adventure upon my return. Thank you in advance for any insight you can pass on to this fish out of known waters.

Don :D

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Don, welcome to Anglers Net :)

I can't help you with your query unfortunately (I live too far north), but I'll move this to the coarse fishing forum where you should get more responses :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hi Don, welcome to Anglers Net :)

I can't help you with your query unfortunately (I live too far north), but I'll move this to the coarse fishing forum where you should get more responses :thumbs:

Thanks John Rookie mistake on the topic location. :wallbash:

No worries :) Enjoy your stay in the UK, and tight lines :fishing1:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

the one most people have heard of near to heathrow is old bury hill, you will need a car though to get there. you will need a fishing licence which you can get a one day one from the Environment agency for the day you are going, this is in addition to paying the day ticket to be able to fish. there is more on the bury hills website here

http://www.buryhillfisheries.co.uk/find-us.phtml

The enviroment agency website info for a licence is here.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...hing/31497.aspx

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

the one most people have heard of near to heathrow is old bury hill, you will need a car though to get there. you will need a fishing licence which you can get a one day one from the Environment agency for the day you are going, this is in addition to paying the day ticket to be able to fish. there is more on the bury hills website here

http://www.buryhillfisheries.co.uk/find-us.phtml

The enviroment agency website info for a licence is here.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...hing/31497.aspx

So any post office will have 1 day licences? Very cool B)

I really had my sights set towards Pike and they close the predator fishiery at bury hills in March. :angry: Is that a closed season for Pike everywhere or just at those lakes?

thanks for the reply,

Don

Hi and welcome to Angler's Net.

I can't help you with venues but you may find this article of mine comparing UK & US angling of interest: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Miscellaneous-...an_angling.html.

Have a great time!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

England & Wales have a closed coarse season for rivers in Spring every year and some lakes do the same although they don't have to. "Coarse" fish is pretty much everything in fresh water except trout.

I have no idea about places in the area of London (I'm closer to you than to England) but if I were making that trip and had a little space in my luggage, I'd pack an ultra light rod & reel along with some 1/64 to 1/16 ounce lures and have some fun. You'd just need to make sure the lake you were visiting allowed lure fishing.

Question to the forum - I seem to remember that you can fish tidal sections of rivers even during the closed season. Is there anything within a reasonable train or bus ride of London?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hi Don , hope you get some fishing in during your visit . a few years back i posed the same questions to S.O.L surftalk forum as i was taking a holiday to New York . lots of really friendly advice came my way (unfortunately i was due there about 3 weeks before the stripers would be :( but i had complete strangers giving me there cell phone numbers and offering me days out in their boats :D. ( don't you just love being a member of the brotherhood of anglers). unfortunately she whom must be obeyed decided that fishing had no available time slot in our busy itinerary of shopping, shopping and more shopping (i did manage to visit a tackle shop though B) )

anyway i just did a quick google of "day ticket fishing heathrow" and lots of results came up . unfortunately i can never seem to get links to work on here (maybe someone else can do it for you ;) )

cheers

kev

hi Don , hope you get some fishing in during your visit . a few years back i posed the same questions to S.O.L surftalk forum as i was taking a holiday to New York . lots of really friendly advice came my way (unfortunately i was due there about 3 weeks before the stripers would be :( but i had complete strangers giving me there cell phone numbers and offering me days out in their boats :D. ( don't you just love being a member of the brotherhood of anglers). unfortunately she whom must be obeyed decided that fishing had no available time slot in our busy itinerary of shopping, shopping and more shopping (i did manage to visit a tackle shop though B) )

anyway i just did a quick google of "day ticket fishing heathrow" and lots of results came up . unfortunately i can never seem to get links to work on here (maybe someone else can do it for you ;) )

cheers

kev

Yeah Kev we are a friendly bunch at SCsurffishing as well and often take people with us. I'm taking a guy from Canada out for some leopard shark and Batray fishing May11th as that is my main targets off of the beaches here and they are biting really well right now.

I've been banging away on the keys here researching the various resevoirs such as the Queen mother Wraysbury King Georege VI and the Staines resevoirs and see quite a few unnamed park lakes and ponds(could be private land?) some need day tickets and others I am not finding much fishing info on.

I'll do that same search on google and see what you found thanks for the tip B)

Thanks for the article Steve fishing lingo varies alot around here so the vocabulary lesson and tips on artificials not often being used is especially helpful. :thumbs:

thanks for the gear and lure suggestions Newt :clap2:

Don