New to Fishing

Hi guys.

I am quite new to fishing, and trying to find a nice rod to start with. I will be mainly float fishing at about 2-6m and just wondered what kind of rod i should use. I have been looking at Quiver tip rods and just wondered if they would be suitable for what i want.

Most of the time i will be fishing at my local fishery in which the fish range between 2oz - 18lb. Again, i dont really want lots of rods i just really want one rod that will do the job.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Hi guys.

I am quite new to fishing, and trying to find a nice rod to start with. I will be mainly float fishing at about 2-6m and just wondered what kind of rod i should use. I have been looking at Quiver tip rods and just wondered if they would be suitable for what i want.

Most of the time i will be fishing at my local fishery in which the fish range between 2oz - 18lb. Again, i dont really want lots of rods i just really want one rod that will do the job.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to Anglersnet. You don't say what your budget is so I've gone for this from TFG as it is a quality bit of kit for a reasonable price. Let me know if you can't stretch to that and I'll keep looking.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Thanks for the replys.

Sorry i havent explained myself properly.

My budget really is around £40-50 as a first timerr i dont want to go out and get some good stuff just incase lol.

It was actually a feeder rod i was looking at with 2 tips. but i dont know what that is and if i can use it for a general purpose rod (float, ledgering etc)

I cant really find if they are actually anygood. like i said the fish range between 2oz and 18lb+ carp, bream, roach, tench. So i would like a Rod and Reel that can handle these just incase.

Guest Chris Perch
Another one is the John Wilson Avon Quiver, very versatile and well talked about.

Yes I would highly recomend the John Wilson Avon / Quiver, I have the 11' to 13' model and it suits me for all my coarse fishing and I have had quite a few large carp on it too.

Like the others say, You wont go far wrong with the john wilson range. I have still got two of the original avons and they have serverd me well over the years, Though their looking a little worse for wear now

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Hi Daniel, welcome to AN.

From what you're saying I gather you are a complete newcomer to angling.

Float fishing requires a different rod to feeder fishing, to do the job properly.

The John Wilson rod that's been recommended by the other lads, is really 2 rods in 1, (3 if you count the 2' extension).

It has the one butt section, (where the reel goes), but has two different top sections. One is a float rod top, and the other a quivertip, (leger, light feeder) top. So with one reel, a couple of spare spools with different strength lines, you can use it for most situations.

I know that it's a bit over your budget, but it seems to be what you are looking for. Also cheaper than buying two separate rods.

I know you say that the water you will be fishing contains fish from 2oz to 18lb, but don't try and think about the 18lbers too much. There will be far more fish in the mid weight, 1-6lb that are more likely to take your bait before the big ones do. So i would think in terms of those fish to start off with.

I hope that's answered some of your questions. Any more, and there are plenty on here willing to help.

Good Luck.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Daniel and welcome, you're in the right place for great information and support.

I agree with the others, a twin-tip Avon style rod that has both the standard 'Avon' tip generally used for float fishing, and an additional feeder top with push-in quiver tips will be very versatile indeed, although at the distance you're currently talking about, I'd definitely be float fishing and practicing accurate casting which will pay dividends for later.

As others have recommended, the John Wilson rods are great and to invest in one at the start of your fishing 'career' would undoubtedly prove a great decision; you'll still use it ten years down the line like everyone else who has one and looks after it as it will still be a great, multi-functional rod.

If the John Wilson one seems a tad expensive, how about a similar Ron Thompson one? Ron Thompson Warlord Avon Rod.

Again, it has a 1.5lb test curve 'Avon' top (watch that bend with one of those 18lbers on!) and an additional feeder top. Seems a bargain at Trevs Tackle for £30, as everyone else wants £40 or £50 for it! Gives you some left over pennies to buy some other essentials such as a fishing license, landing net, unhooking mat, discorgers and forceps to name just a few.

EDIT: another worthy investment is John Wilson's Coarse Fishing Method Manual book.

Tight lines.

Edited by Elton

As someone that recently came back to fishing after about 10 years I heartily reccomend simple float fishing. When I first came back to fishing that is what I did, and I caught some nice fish, but I was over eager in my new hobby and wanted to try everything. For months I was experimenting with heavier rods and reels, weird baits for carp, allsorts. After a months of blanking a lot and feeling confused and esasperated with all the different methods I was fed up and just took my old light simple rod and reel out with some maggots and float fished again. I didn't cast right out, just sat dead still and quiet and fished under a tree in the margins. Best days fishing i've ever had, 6 decent tench and 7 nice bream ( plus tiddlers).

I'm just saying keep it simple to start otherwise you'll ruin your enjoyment and put yourself off.