Reccomend a hook pattern

Anderoo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e12052.m43.l...RTM%3AGB%3A1123

Sorry could a mod please make this link "AN friendly"?

Cheers Budgie, just bought one :) It doesn't cost much more than a packet of hooks, does it...

When sharpening blunt/turned over hooks, is the new point more or less likely to blunt again? I mean, is the new point delicate and likely to blunt very easily, or it is harder than the original point and more likely to stay sharp for longer?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheers Budgie, just bought one :) It doesn't cost much more than a packet of hooks, does it...

When sharpening blunt/turned over hooks, is the new point more or less likely to blunt again? I mean, is the new point delicate and likely to blunt very easily, or it is harder than the original point and more likely to stay sharp for longer?

I suppose that the answer can only really be "the sharper the hook the easier it blunts"! But of course even what is sharp and what is blunt is very subjective.

Ive been shown lots of "sharp" hooks that dont pass the test! The test I use is the "thumb nail" test ie when I draw a hook over the nail it should INSTANTLY dig in and not slide over. Yes I must conceede that most chemically sharpened hooks do this out of the packet (but not all) but they dont after a few drags across the gravel!

The hook sharpener Ive reccomended sharpens/resharpens all hooks in seconds.Its idiot proof! (has to be for me to use one!) as it takes a lot less time to re sharpen rather than replace a hook you tend to do it rather than "shall I change the hook? oh it will be ok for a bit" Every time I rebait/recast I check my hook point with the thumbnail test.

Always struck me as daft that many anglers whose style/rig relies on self hooking/pricking dont seem to concerned about if their hooks sharp or not!

Ive been using one since my carp days in the 80's and consider it my most important piece of gear.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I suppose that the answer can only really be "the sharper the hook the easier it blunts"! But of course even what is sharp and what is blunt is very subjective.

Ive been shown lots of "sharp" hooks that dont pass the test! The test I use is the "thumb nail" test ie when I draw a hook over the nail it should INSTANTLY dig in and not slide over. Yes I must conceede that most chemically sharpened hooks do this out of the packet (but not all) but they dont after a few drags across the gravel!

The hook sharpener Ive reccomended sharpens/resharpens all hooks in seconds.Its idiot proof! (has to be for me to use one!) as it takes a lot less time to re sharpen rather than replace a hook you tend to do it rather than "shall I change the hook? oh it will be ok for a bit" Every time I rebait/recast I check my hook point with the thumbnail test.

Always struck me as daft that many anglers whose style/rig relies on self hooking/pricking dont seem to concerned about if their hooks sharp or not!

Ive been using one since my carp days in the 80's and consider it my most important piece of gear.

This is one of the things I like most about AN - you ask a question and end up getting a completely different and much better answer than you expect!

I'm the same as you, before every cast I check the hook on a nail and if it doesn't 'stick' straight away it goes in the bin. This is expensive for two reasons, one is the cost of the hook and the second is the cost of the hooklength material. On top of that, there's the time and hassle it takes to tie a new hooklength.

On my last session I got through at least 10 hooks and probably about 5ft of sink braid :rolleyes:

Hopefully this will mean I can carry on using the straight point hooks. A really sharp straight point is my preferred hook for bolt rigs.

I'll book in a demo with you at the fish-in!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've seen a review of hook sharpness online somewhere, with close up photos of the hook points, I found it quite interesting.

Geoff

I've been following this thread with interest, as I don't have any particular 'favourite' hook maker.

One of the things that surprised me is that no body mentions whether they prefer a hook that is kirbed or reversed.

Are these patterns 'out of vogue' now?

I know some manufacturers have a few in their range, but it seems they are now mostly used for sea fishing.

As you know I don't fish 'bolt rigs', but would have thought that an off set point would be an advantage to those that do.

When buying hooks I tend to search the shelves for an off set point pattern, because I prefer them, but they don't seem as popular as they used to be.

A long time ago I used to use a (IMO) brilliant hook called 'Blue Devil', (from Aitken I think), sadly long since gone. Now I just look for a pattern that I think will be suitable for what I want.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I always use "Kirbed" hooks in big sizes (6/0+) for big fish such as catfish.

That kind of proves my point Budgie, (twice :D ).

I think that they can be useful in smaller/more normal sizes as well.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yes definately.I often off set the point with a set of pliers on size 8 and 10 hooks if the wire will take it rather than break. Seems to give better hooking and I dont know why more hooks arnt like this?