irresponsible peanut angler

JBee123

Had heard of peanuts as a bait and the guy next to me fishing at the weekend was lourding their use as a bait.

He also pulled out some decent carp. Then he told me tho, if you use them dont let on(having been doing so to me for the last 2 hours) cause some places dont like you to use them because carp cant digest them properly and it can damage them.....he said throwing another liberal handfull into the lake!

Got me thinking that by using a bait he knew could harm the fish just to attain an edge was he really no better than the people who take fish from waters for their own consumption?

Discuss!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by JBee123:

[QB] the guy next to me fishing at the weekend was lourding their use as a bait.

Does that mean he was expecting miracles?

Seriously, I thought the (potential) problem with peanuts was more the possibility of fungal contamination by aflatoxins? Some fisheries ban them and others not, so there must be at least some doubt as to whether they are bad for the carp?

DavyR - I don't think there is any evidence that peanuts are bad for carp. They don't seem to be digested to any great extent so they aren't particularly good for them either. More of a snack that is pretty well neutral. They are fairly soft when raw and don't swell when soaked in water so even with no prep whatever, they are still not a problem. Hulls on or hulls off and the carp can just safely and happily crunch them and munch them.

However, as you noted, if they are contaminated with a harmful fungus, they can cause sickness or death in people, livestock, or fish. http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fieldcrops/3027.html

If you stick with using only human food grade peanuts and don't store them where it is damp for long periods, they aren't a problem.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

wasnt really questioning the fact that they were or werent poisonous to the fish. More the attitude of the fella. Just these are brilliant they catch loads of carp and I dont really care if they get ill because of it! thought that whole attitude stank!

Have to say he was best described as a chav tho also boasting that he could go fishing anytime he wanted cause he didnt work! Lucky git!