irresponsible peanut angler

JBee123

Andy Macfarlane:

I agree that taking fish from privately run pleasure fisheries is theft but you didn't say that now did you?

You are right mate. All he did was liken people who kill fish to eat, to someone who deliberately sets out to poison fish. I kill quite a lot of fish to eat and I object to being classified in that way!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few observations on what has been said.

Despite thinking that nuts dont cause any direct harm I to also believe that long term use does see a general reduction in fish size.Seen this on a couple of waters.

Nothing wrong with taking fish to eat as long as size and bag limits are adhered to.Also of course local rules regarding the returning/keeping of fish.

Andy Mc's comments re the eating of sea fish and the destructive way they are caught are very true.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Peanuts were by far the best bait on a prolific carp water in my club. Then the commitee banned them for the fungal reason and the numbers of fish caught dropped dramatically. Then eventually the ubiquotus (spelling!)fish pellets and method feeder started to reverse the decline. They and other nuts are stilled banned.

My understanding of the nut issue causing problems on waters is that if anglers are predominantly using large quantities, the fish will become preocupied with them. As well as not gaining a great deal of nutritional benefit from nuts they are also unable to digest them. This results in nuts going in one end and coming out the other virtually unchanged, leaving them on the lake bed ready for the next fish to snack on, and so the circle continues.

This might go some way to explain why both Steve and Budgie noticed the drop in growth rate.

Of course, I could be just talking absolute nonsense. :)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Chevin.

I maybe got misinterpreted back there. I have nothing against taking fish to eat. What however I do have a problem with is taking fish without permission or correct rights to eat.

We have had a lot of problems in my area using tied lines to catch coarse fish and taking them(Especially Pike). Thus depleting local stocks significantly.

thats who I was pointing the finger at! Likening the idiots with the nuts(if you will excuse the expression) to the people using tied lines to catch and remove the fish from the river.

This is a post of mine from a while back...

Anglers' Net Super-Poster

Member # 608

posted 23 September, 2004 21:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My experience of nuts, both Brazils and Tigers (never used peanuts) spread over many years is that they do no harm at all.

Fact1. I and friends have caught the same fish repeatedly over a period of more than 30 years and these fish have grown from the first captures at about 6lbs up to a massive 45lbs. Not one fish but many of them.

Fact2. The biggest weight gain was noticed the year after these fish were "blitzed" with Brazils, uncooked, and they gorged themselves on them, some putting on a massive 6lbs in a month.

Fact3 I have fished several gravel pits where Tigers are used by at least some of the anglers every year for 25 years or more and even the Tench and Bream have thrived on them.

These are FACTS not hearsay or anecdotal

Not having a go at you Budgie but I simply want to state the facts from my own personal experience.

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic