irresponsible peanut angler

JBee123

Moving swiftly on... I remember reading a Fred J Taylor piece in which he described anglers in the USA feeding corn or maize that was not just "on the turn", but really fermented. Anyone caught on sweetcorn that stank to high heaven (without having first been through a digestive tract)?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Davey,I have found most cereal baits eg maize,buckwheat and some pulses eg maples to work best once they have started fermenting.The carp "scientists" will tell you its because the fish are more attracted by the sugars and enzymes that are released by fermemntation.Dont know about the science but they certainly work better when chucking up!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

On the subject of peanuts.You often read/hear that you must always use "human grade" peanuts to avoid various diseases etc that the "annimal/bird grade" ones can carry.

When I did a lot of carping and used particles a lot in the late 70's to late 80's I brought all my particles from a health food supliers.Back then very few tackle shops sold particles or boillie ingrediants.The proprietor told me that all peanuts imported into this country were "fit for human consumption" and the difference between the "human grade" and the "animal/bird grade" was simply that any broken,mis shapen,odd sized nuts were sorted out and labeled up "animal/bird grade" and the neater looking more consistant ones as "human grade".

Well Im obviously no expert on beans,cereals nuts or pulses but have no reason to doubt the guy.I would certainly be more suspicious of the tackle dealer who claims that you must use his more expensive "fishing ones"! ....even when they often come from the same supplier!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

JBee123:

wasnt really questioning the fact that they were or werent poisonous to the fish.  More the attitude of the fella.  Just these are brilliant they catch loads of carp and I dont really care if they get ill because of it! thought that whole attitude stank!

It certainly did stink/suck/etc. and I don't blame you for being disgusted with the bozo.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

There's another issue with nuts in addition to poor preparation.

A few years ago I banned all nuts at Wingham on Bruno Broughton's advice. This is because one summer a lot of tiger nuts went into the Carp Lake. At the same time the growth rate of the carp dropped sharply. As soon as the ban was in place the carp started growing quickly again.

It could have course have been coincidence, but I very much doubt it. Bruno explained that whilst carp love nuts, they get very little nutritional benefit from eating them. While their guts are full of nuts they're not eating food that makes them grow.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I think that may have been the point that this idiot was trying to make rather than the one that was made with regards to infections caused by the nuts.

So knowing this and that it may effect the long term health of the fish he continued to fish with them.

JBee123:

was he really no better than the people who take fish from waters for their own consumption?

Discuss!

What is wrong with eating fish? :confused:

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Chevin, there's nothing wrong with eating fish you've caught. The fishing fraternity seems to have forgotten the original idea behind catching fish in the first place.

I got hammered on P&P a few times for describing eating Pike. Apparently I was no better than an Albanian. Apart from the fact describing me as being no better than another human is nothing but blatant racism, I was castigated by the same fellow Pikers who thought nothing of killing specimen sized Roach for bait!!!

It seems that certain fish species and races of human are somehow inferior to some folk.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

take fish from the sea to eat them fine, take fish from privately run fisherys which have been set up with the purpose of pleasure angling, tantamount to Theft.

There is nothing wrong with eating what you catch. Just if we all did it then there wouldnt be too much left for us to catch.

Most fish eating people eat sea fish.

Most people eat fish caught by wasteful trawling methods.

Most UK coastal areas have been raped to near extinction.

Most UK coastal areas fail European water safety standards and those very same sea fish live in it.

That doesn't sound fine to me.

I agree that taking fish from privately run pleasure fisheries is theft but you didn't say that now did you?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...