Motorcycle Champions

Colin Brett

I've just had a sort through some of my old record albums and came across a couple of TT sound stories from the 60s.

Needless to say I had to give them a whirl and Hey all those memories came flooding back.

I was lucky enough to witness the late great Mike Hailwood in action at various venues, including Snetterton circuit where he broke the 500cc lap record on a 250cc Honda.

The racers of today are pretty damn good but how do they compare to Mike Hailwood, Agostini, Jim Redman and Barry Sheen etc.

Mike Hailwood was and still is the greatest rider of them all.

Who was your favourite?

Colin

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, he was a fantastic rider, I remembering him battling for a postion with John Cooper at Silverstone in the '70's, it was a fantastic race. He was never in with a chance of winning because Read and Ago were out of sight on their "Fire engines"

Good as he was though, I have to wonder if he was as good as Rossi is. However, that is the kind of debate that arises in every sport of this kind. F1 and boxing are two classic examples. I think that it is reasonable to wonder if Ago was as good as Read because a lot of the wins he had over Read were due to team orders. The Count was very keen to have an Italian rider winning races on his bike but once he gave Read a free rein the final race positions were frequently reversed.

I feel in the argument for who is/was best, Mick Doohan must also be put into the equation. Certainly a brilliant rider and a wonderful ambassador for the sport too!

I think that if I was pressed into making a decision I would go for Rossi on the basis of his last race with Honda and his first with Yamaha. Along with his other successes of course.

[ 12. June 2005, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: chevin ]

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Its about time a british rider started winning moto gps.

Barry sheene was the last british rider to win a gp.

Ron Haslam and a couple of other brits have come close.

Mcwilliams won a 250 gp a couple or so years ago .

Do you know, that hadn't occurred to me. You are right of course. I remember Barry turning up at Silverstone in a GP for the first time. I forget where he came in that race, but his class was obvious right from the start. A lot of people were talking about him as they left the meeting.

One of the guys I was with was Roger Hunter who was also most impressed with him and his experience was much greater than those of us who were simply fans!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

One advantage Rossi has over riders in the 60s/70s is the fact he is as light as a feather. Riders back then tended to be real men :D

Anyone remember the Brands Hatch races that were run anti clockwise? Derek Minter, John Cooper et all were there for a few years.

Sadly I missed out on seeing Barry Sheen, however when I was in the tyre trade I spoke to him once over the phone. An american rider had blown some tyres in Cambridge on the way to Silverstone and I was trying to get Michelin help the yank out, by pulling a few strings. As you say another great British rider.

Colin

Yes, Rossi does have that advantage but being light it does make the effort of controlling one of todays machines beyond anything those guys of the '60s and 70s.had to deal with. I guess their bikes took a lot more riding because the suspensions and frames were no where near as good as they are today. However, the Moto GP bikes are heavier and far more powerful than anything that existed in those days.

I never got to Brands Hatch; Silverstone and Mallory were the circuits I visted most and I still have to wonder today, when we talk of the all time greats, just where Sarinen would have ranked had it not been for his untimely death. He looked to be one of the greatest talents most of us had ever seen - and he rode in two races at most meetings, the 350cc and the 500cc races - on the same bike!

I had to edit this because I forgot to mention Rossi's great win last night. Gibbo must be wondering what he has to do to win! If Rossi wasn't on the scene, we would probably be including him among some of the top riders ever!

[ 13. June 2005, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: chevin ]

I'd love to go, but could you give me a lift please? :)

[ 13. June 2005, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: chevin ]