Motorcycle Champions

Colin Brett

I would say that is quite likely. Quite a lot of the frames on bikes in the 70's flexed alarmingly when sudden power was applied. I think that Sheene's 500cc Suzuki was even more powerful wasn't it? I seem to remember it being said that it was the most powerful 500cc bike ever. I wonder if it was a problem with that bike, and if it had anything to do with horrendous crash he had at Daytona? Or was that a tyre problem? I forget now! :confused:

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin,

you set me thinking there, I can't put my hands on it at the moment but I've got an album with side cars on it. Schiedeger, Camathias, and of course the legendary Chris Vincent and Owen Greenwood. I used to buy parts for a Triumph Bonnie that I rebuilt stem to stern from Owen Greenwood from his shop in Loughborough Leicestershire and was very often served by the man himself.

Solo riders that I used to like to go and see race were, Ago. Read, Bill Ivy, Cooper, etc, but I have to admit that my all time hereo was the late great Joey Dunlop. The bike was just like with S.M.B. Hailwood, an extension of himself, and perfect balance and control.

I too often wonder what they modern riders would think of racing a bike from the 50s+60s, or for the riders of that time to race a modern bike. It would perhaps make interesting reading to see there findings.

Was it Phill read or John Cooper who always had a packet of Park Drive and a box of matches taped to the chock on their seat just in case, I can't remember but someone used to do it.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Bill Ivy! The man who lapped the Island at over 100mph on a 125cc bike!

Do you remember to Boret twins who were world champs in the side car events? Their combination was the first monocoque set up in combination racing and it was built by a guy with whom I served my apprentiship. His name was John Renwick. He was a year or two ahead of me, but while he was there he built a swinging arm suspension for a Vincent Black Knight. I had a ride on that bike - very comfortable!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Some excellent riders listed above , but ponder these guys who turned our heads when they showed up on our shores Freddie Spencer,Eddie Lawson,Wayne Rainey,Wayne Gardner and above all others the great Kenny Roberts. The Transatlantic Trophy at Brands Hatch every year was a must.

To be honest, they are/were ALL great. Some better than others some just the breaks, right place right time etc.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

bushwacker:

Colin,

you set me thinking there, I can't put my hands on it at the moment but I've got an album with side cars on it. Schiedeger, Camathias, and of course the legendary Chris Vincent and Owen Greenwood.  I used to buy parts for a Triumph Bonnie that I rebuilt stem to stern from Owen Greenwood from his shop in Loughborough Leicestershire and was very often served by the man himself.

Somewhere in my old photos I have a photo of the Fath[sp] Four [uRS] being wheeled out in the Brands paddock for the first time but in solo guise. I'm sure it was Colin Seeley who was involved? I was helping a mate out that day and we were all finished for the day when this machine was rolled out for a quick spin.

Wasn't SCHEIDEGGER killed at Brands?

Another mate [ben Taylor] raced sidecars and was tipped to be world champion, but simply ran out of money and couldn't get anyone to sponsor him.

Colin

Rossi has a wonderful talent. Like many of you, with years of riding behind me you can see exactly what the riders of today are getting their bikes to do. If your unsure watch the relationship between the front and rear wheels while cornering. Today the power to weight is huge while the front and rear footprint are still small. Modern tyres play their part, at least modern racers don't have to contend with an engine nipping up mid corner like Roberts and Co.

The majority of riders in Moto GP today can do the numbers on the day with the right bike, wish KTM would do better for Shaky.

What the population at large need to understand is that Moto GP, not forgetting Superbikes, are far more thrilling than F1.

Andrew Boyd

I cant belive nobody has mentioned foggy but saying that a lot of the above riders are before my time. :P:)

I think rossi will become one of the greats at the end of his carreer if he carrys on as he is doing

Regards Paul Mc