Best (& Worst!) Live Bands

Tog

jeepster:

jeepster:

The Who

Darkness!

lowestofts very own rock gods are shortly to be booked for a very big gig at somerleyton hall next year. you heard it here first
Hi m8 Where's Somerleyton Hall ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter
bluezulu:

graham!i'm shocked mate! you know more about music than you do about footy!   :D        

That's not surprising, is it, me being a Palace supporter? :D

bluezulu:

Ian hunter and the boys pure magic!also you must be older than i first thought!

When I wrote "22 and up for it" in that "How old are you"? thread, I was slightly massaging the truth. :D

Someone out there saw Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green! - Bast@rd!!!

He can still play some but -- how can I put it?

Well time and 'stuff' seem to have had a lasting effect.(was down B'mouth last year)

Few More 'Queen' fans I see, If you'd seem 'em live you WOULD put them top. Outstanding show - and that's from someone who has only 1 Queen record (they wern't really my bag!) but boy did they ROCK. (Wembley arena - 1981?)

Tog

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Guest sslatter

Worst 5 gigs:

1) JJ Cale- Rainbow, c 1975; he had terrible problems with stage fright, and never appeared on stage with the rest of the band (Nils Lofgren et al). The sparse crowd kept calling for him to appear, and Nils Lofgren tried to pull him onto the stage, but he stayed hiding behind the rear stage curtain for the whole gig- apparently, this was not a unique occurrence;

2) Captain Beefheart- a North London pub, c 1970; utterly terrible, with a packed crowd of Van Vliet pseudo-intellectual groupies, hanging on his every word.. the conversation in the bar during half time had to be heard to be believed;

3) The Rolling Stones, Earls Court, c1975; the first night of yet another 'farewell' tour from the lads: the acoustics were awful, there were so many conflicting echoes from the vast auditorium, you couldn't tell which song they were playing. A massive let-down;

4) Fleetwood Mac, Fairfield Halls, c1970; about 150 people turned up, in a 3000-seater. Words fail me at how bad this band was/still is: out of tune, out of synch, out of fashion: horrendous pop/pap;

5) The Sex Pistols, Community Hall in Fulham/Chelsea, c1977; hundreds of people crammed into a tiny venue. They played (very badly)for about 20 minutes, before a huge punch-up started between the band and some of the serial gobbers at the front. Gig collapses in a froth of blood, phlegm, and broken equipment, which was all pinched by the crowd! One to forget.

[NB Billy Gibbons (later of ZZ Top fame) came to London in the 70s to see what all the punk fuss was about, went to this gig, and wrote very amusingly about it. I just wish I could remember where I read his comments].

[ 12. December 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

I totally agree, went to see Clapton at the Albert Hall, music great but no atmosphere, he didn't converse with the audience and didn't thank the band!!!!!!! Best live gig I have ever seen was the Flaming Lips at sheffield last year! amazing, fantastic brilliant!!!!!!!

Tog:

Gaffer - MC Hammer!! (Don't think I'd have admitted to that one!!)        :D    

I wondered if anyone would pick up on that! :o

Seriously though, my cousin used to work for a ticket office and so I got tickets for nuffin'. :)

Best gig bar none, PFM at York. Fantastic.

Other great ones, Status Quo at Bridlington, many times, Clapton ditto, Racing Cars at York, superb. Also John Miles, what a musician. Hawkwind, Racing Cars, Curved Air ( didn't we all fancy Sonya Christina?")Camel at Leeds, Black Sabbath at Bradford.

Poor Ones, Sex Pistols at Forde Greene,Leeds

( see it got seriously busted for drugs recently), Stranglers at Bridlington