For once the French may have got it right!

Blindhog

Yes for once the feckless French may have got it right. They plan to expel preachers of hate back to their countries of origin. No duh!

I gather that most of Britain’s “Radical Imams” have warrants for their arrest for capital crimes back home. Sending them home would probably be a good start and may solve more than one problem.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Content/di...ic30.xml&site=5

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would have thunk it.

Much as it pains me, good on France.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

They also got it right when they separated church and state, when they chucked the catholic orders out of the schools and hospitals and more recently when they bought that tradition up to date by banning all overtly religious atire from schools.

Shame about them being such smarmy gits though :D

[ 31. July 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Ken L ]

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I personally favour the banning of religous attire in schools, but then I also believe all British church schools should also be reformed as well.

Whilst religon is important I think recent events prove some people (albeit a small amount) are quite impressionable, and imposing any views (catholic, church of england, islamic) really are not relevant to education as such.

You cannot help but feel that a church school might be less liberal (which you can argue for or against) and slight biased when it comes to social issues (which might be reflected in various curriculum subjects).

More to the point, I feel the freedom of choice for the pupil is removed, and you are assumed to be Catholic, COE etc for the duration of your study - an assumption which is really nothing to do with the school and to a certain extent your parents or anyone else!

{rant over}

Ian W

I agree that the so called "faith schools" need to go.

Quite apart from anything else, their selection policies are overtyly racist ! But not perhaps in the way that you might at first think.

In my area, there are several Catholic schools that produce very good accademic results but given the nature of the local community, people from all races what to send their kids to the successfull school. If the kid is from an asian background, no questions are asked but if they happen to be white, they have precicely zero chance of getting in without a letter from the parish priest confirming that both parents are good church attending Catholics.

Not a good situation.

Personally though, I'd get rid of the sunday schools and mahdarases for all kids under 12 as well.

Clerics in hospitals is a difficult one but I'd certanly say that they should only be at somebodys bedside if their presence is specifically requested by the patient.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken L:

In my area, there are several Catholic schools that produce very good accademic results but given the nature of the local community, people from all races what to send their kids to the successfull school. If the kid is from an asian background, no questions are asked but if they happen to be white, they have precicely zero chance of getting in without a letter from the parish priest confirming that both parents are good church attending Catholics."

That's why they're called catholic schools??? Try getting into a Muslim school if your'e Catholic.

The trouble with this country is we pander to all the minorities to the detriment of the majority.

Comprehensive schools cater for the lowest common denominator. If you are in a crap area you get crap schools.

That is why I pay £7K/year to educate my daughter privately. As parents you make choices based on your priorities in life.

JRT

The fee paying schools round our way are crap in comparison to our local comprehensive. My children, being high academic achievers were offered full scholarships at these schools ( presumably to boost the achievment figures ), but we turned these down in favour of the local comp. and I feel it's the best decision we ever made.

JRT, does your daughter have a school nickname like her father yet? :D

I went to a grammar school (one with several hundred years of history, not one of the modern ones), and the standard of education was excellent, discipline was harsh (but fair mainly), and more importantly it was free.

That said I would happily see the end of selective grammar schools in favour of better education across the board - putting people into boxes actively encourgaes brighter kids to work harder and less brighter children to give up.

Ian W