airbus a380 (super jumbo) first pics as promised

Nicholas Simpson

Awesome aircraft. From the pictures it looks like the Vertical Stabilizer just barely clears the hangar door.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kentangler:

When that goes down it will make a big hole in the ground.

Probably not.

- the worst danger for any plane is takeoff and landing and those are done from low altitude onto a paved surface so rarely a hole.

- the majority of the earth is covered by water so if one did go down, 75% chance it would splash.

And unless there are some very strange problems with the design (unlikely) or unless they have some really bad luck, a crash probably isn't going to happen.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Posted by Newt:

Awesome aircraft. From the pictures it looks like the Vertical Stabilizer just barely clears the hangar door.

Always wondered what you called those sticky up bits. :D

[ 26. November 2004, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: MickJ ]

Mick - http://www.jackfish.net

The impossible I do at once, miracles take a little bit longer.

Looks like parts were "farmed out", pity they couldn't agree on the color scheme :D or is this one of those "cut and weld" jobs?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I did see on Discovery that a Dutch firm, TU Delft I think, was developing a super strong plastic that was placed between 2 layers of the body of the aircraft cutting down on the amount of weak points (rivets), watching the tests it seems that if the body is hit by a heavy object the skin will only be damaged at the point of impact and not rip further as in the Aloha (?) incident where a complete section ripped off the plane.

It looks like a brilliant plane but I don't think you would catch me up in it.

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Newt:

And unless there are some very strange problems with the design (unlikely) or unless they have some really bad luck, a crash probably isn't going to happen.
Titanic and Concord spring to mind, oh and the space craft that crashed due to a 10cent washer. :(

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Between me and you airbus have developed a way to connect the stringers and the wing skins togeather without using any rivets at all therefore not putting weakness and stresses into the skin. However titanium bolts are still going to be used on the wing by the fuselage as this is were the stress is concentrated and apparently these titanium bolts we use cant fail!

O yeah its called Laser Weld! Basically the stringer is put on a machine, skin is placed on top and the two materials are welded togeather but its done in such a way they basically form into one complete metal.

Reduces weight aswell as no sealent and no rivets. Sealent is not needed to be use around stringers as no fuel can get between stringer and skin due to the weld. And overall MORE efficent!

And for those of you who havent got a clue wats been said above.

For example a birds wing!

The skin being the feathers and the stringers being the bone structure :D

Sorry for boring you again!

[ 26. November 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Nicholas Simpson ]