The CA meets the minister!!

Colin Brett

Thank you Bruno, not just because we hold the same sentiments, but because yours is a voice of sanity in a world of tunnel vision by some anglers who still insist on supporting the CA.

Angling now needs to distance itself from the CA, but will they agree to stop plugging angling?

I do have sincere sympathy for those who will genuinly loose their jobs because of the ban. But it is a mark of a civilised society that we can show compassion to a persecuted animal over the needs of humans.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put it this way F/B, I don't choose to livebait, albeit I'm tempted!

Put it another way, with mankind at the top of the chain of living beings, and amoebas pretty near the bottom, I'd put foxes nearer the top and livebaits quite a few wrungs nearer the bottom.

All a question of degree and personal morality. It is generally acceptable to tether your mutt to a lampost for ten minutes whilst you go into the butchers, but to leave it there all week would be totally unacceptable.

By the way, I did grow up in the country.

I don't like livebaiting. So much so that I don't do it any more. But I wouldn't want to see it banned, as other anglers enjoy it.

There is too much ban-this, ban-that in this nanny state... too many people going around saying something should be banned just because THEY disagree with it.

So although I don't like fox hunting, I have sypathy with the hunters... particularly since it is mainly class warfare involved. Labour vs the Toffs - how dull.

This inept government has more important issues it should be dealing with, like immigration, health, education, terrorism.

Fenboy

If the leaders of the C.A. are really interested in representing angling and anglers, then why not join one of the recognised representative organisations?

All other bodies( N.F.A, N.F.S.A, S.A.A and S&T.A.) are coming together under The National Anglers Alliance(N.A.A.), but we still see the C.A. shaking it's stick from the sidelines.

All it looks to me, and to many others I would suggest, that the only thing the C.A. is about is projecting Mr Jardine. What is he after, the O.B.E? I can tell him from first hand experience, its takes a little more effort than standing outside the Houses of Parliament with a load of hooligans, albeit dressed in Tweed and Barbour jackets.

However, if he and a few others (and I could challenge any to name more than one or two) still wish to associated with what is now (especially after the events of the past week) perceived to be just a bunch of upper crust oiks on horseback, then so be it.

You can accuse me of playing the class card, but after the events of late, this is exactly how the great British public now see them.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

John, by turning your perfectly reasonable arguements of previous postings into a class issue you devalue your moral highground. Be assured that very many ordinary folk are involved in the fox hunting issue.

Fenboy, that our government, who aren't all bad, has time to fight the corner of an animal shows that we are a civilised country. That we can afford to put the wellbeing of a fox before the wellbeing of those who might loose their jobs is the mark of a civilised country. Don't just see it as a class issue, see it more as a moral one.

I grew up in the country, went to school in the country. Much of what Bruno says about country folk and fox hunting is true. Like you I resent incomers who critiscise the ways of what goes on around them. But lets remember that 10,000 marched to parliament the other day, but it was ONLY 10,000. Lot of ordinary country folk stayed at home.

I often wonder what sort of income Jardine gets from the CA. I would guess that its an income worth hanging onto. Got to be seen to be earning his crust! Can't see why else he stays with them.

Peter,sorry. I did try to make the distinction between crust and class.

Fenboy mentions 'terrorism'

Is not threatening country people, some who live in tied accommodation, with the loss of homes and jobs not a form of terrorism?

Not all terrorist go round with explosives strapped to their bodies, some are much more subtle.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

The threats coming from some quarters of the CA are nothing short of the level that we expect from terrorist organisations. An extreme comparison but one, regretfully, that holds some water.

Many of the people who hunt with hounds are not country folk at all. Some are masters of commerce and finance, more used to riding over the people rather than with them, more used to getting their own selfish way. But here they are, turning their agenda into a countryside issue, rather than the 'city' going out into the country at weekends matter.

It shouldn't be forgotten that the CA started off life as the Countryside Business Group. People should look a little closer at the CA. Where are its offices? In the city.

Are its people all county or city folk?

Whose battle are they really fighting?

[ 23. September 2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

fenboy:

I don't like livebaiting. So much so that I don't do it any more. But I wouldn't want to see it banned, as other anglers enjoy it.

There is too much ban-this, ban-that in this nanny state... too many people going around saying something should be banned just because THEY disagree with it.

So although I don't like fox hunting, I have sypathy with the hunters... particularly since it is mainly class warfare involved. Labour vs the Toffs - how dull.

This inept government has more important issues it should be dealing with, like immigration, health, education, terrorism.

Crikey!! Almost word for word those are my views to!

Colin