The CA meets the minister!!

Colin Brett

Bruno Broughton:

Bruno Broughton:

When was the last time any of the angling bodies got to meet the minister?

The CA got to meet him today!

Er, no. The CA got to pelt Alan Michael with eggs, and climb on his car, and shout abuse, and claim that the countryside is a no-go area for this Government. He was threatened with being 'hunted' wherever he appears.

Bruno,

All I can tell you is I watched him [on tv] enter the building where the meeting was being held. No eggs, car stomping or anything else that the cameras were much more likely to centre on.

Colin

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fenboy, I agree with you on these issues...I also witness farmers ploughing and, more importantly, gathering in the harvest in the darkness.

Most of the publicity for the anti fox hunters came about because of the VIOLENT nature of their protests and it would seem that there are many in the CA who also feel strongly enough to play the anti's at there own game.

Not to worry though, most of the pro lobby are responsible citizens and it will all fizzle out soon.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Colin Brett:

When was the last time any of the angling bodies got to meet the minister?

er, I was on standby last week (14th Sept)in case Malcolm Gilbert couldn't make his meeting with Ben Bradshaw.

Also had a chance to talk to him at the last angling summit, and I'm sure that we'll bump into each other again soon!

Ain't that unusual for angling organisations and representatives to have chats with ministers and shadow ministers etc.

Tight Lines - leon

ps Late reply due to being at a two day work shop at DEFRA's HQ in Smith Square, back there again for another two day get together next week.

[ 23. September 2004, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Personally, I think if the CA really does have angling's best interests at heart it would second Jardine, with a wodge of money, to the NAA or NFA, and tell him to use his abundant energies there. Credit where it's due, he has got a good PR going.

fenboy:

Are you a country lad, Bruno, or do you happen to live in the country? You can hardly moan about farmers ploughing fields at 2am. It's just a guess, but I would wager the famer didn't want to be ploughing his field at 2am, either. Something to do with necessity, I reckon... like getting as much done as possible before next round of bad weather.

I know what you mean about hunting, though. Most country people don't care one way or the other. But most do object to politicians from the city telling them how things should be run... and that's why a lot of non-hunters have sympathised with the hunters.

Incidentally, it's not difficult to get an interview with Alun Michael. Just contact his office and ask. He's very willing to discuss countryside issues.

fenboy they were exactly my first thoughts when i read bruno's post. i would hazzard a guess that he is also one of these people that moans at the smell of "natural fertilizer" when its spread too.

as for the rest of the post, well i just had to shake my head and wonder who he had spoken too. if its the "new country set" then its no suprise that he gets the cant stand fox hunting line.

i have been born and bred in the country and not in a hunting area, but the people that i speak to round here are severely ****** with labour and its increasing back turning on the countryside, and yes that includes the hunting ban. and lets not forget its not just fox hunting that is to be banned, but hunting anything, with all dogs. have people really thought of the implications of this across the board?

what for the future of some breeds of dog? who is going to want a fox hound, greyhound, lurcher et al now?

are you going to home them all Bruno and Pete?

i doubt that. there are far more serious things that this government should be dealing with, rather than wasting its time on a traditional country pursuit.

and finnally. Bruno, i hope as someone that makes a living from fishing and fisheries you will be quite so happy to have your livlehood removed as you are so keen to remove that from hunting related industries, if a ban on angling apppears.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Both retired grey hounds and lurchers make excellent pets Mark. Infact in this neck of the woods the new country set consider it very trendy to have a lurcher, complete with a wrap artistically tied round its neck, as a pet.

Lets see how the act pans out before making too many judgements about what will and won't be banned as a result of it Mark. It certainly doesn't mean the end of retrievers if thats what you are thinking!

[ 23. September 2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

i agree with you about the dogs peter. i have yet to meet a bad tempered or nasty lurcher and in my job i am around them all day long. in fact on one of the sites i look after one follows me round the site and is as friendly as anything, but they need next to no excersise!!

it wouldbe very sad to see these dissapear when no one needs them anymore. it may or not happen pete, but its a distinct possibility

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

mark barrett:

and lets not forget its not just fox hunting that is to be banned, but hunting anything, with all dogs. have people really thought of the implications of this across the board?

I'll correct the rest of your 'guesses' tomorrow, Mark, as you have been presumptious enough to claim to know my background, where I was born, where I live and how I gain my life experiences. For now, I will correct your 'facts' on the supposed total ban on hunting anything with dogs.

To quote yesterday's Cornish Guardian (newspaper):

"Many people believe the Hunting Bill will ban all hunting with dogs - but that is wrong. The legislation contains a number of exemptions designed to allow gamekeepers to continue to operate.

"It covers foxes, deer and mink which are the most commonly hunted species, but also wild boar.

With the Government promising to use the Parliament Act to force it through the Lords, the legislation looks certain to reach the statute books by mid-November. After further debate, MPs voted to delay the implementation of a ban until July 2006, although this decision will also have to be approved by peers.

The legislation also makes it an offence for a landowner to allow illegal hunting to take place - and it outlaws all hare coursing without exception.

"Anyone breaking the new law will face a fine of up to £5,000 and could also face the confiscation of dogs, horses and other equipment.

The hunting of rats and rabbits will continue to be permitted, providing the consent of the landowner has been obtained.

"But the biggest potential loophole surrounds the use of dogs for "flushing out" foxes, deer and other mammals to enable them to be shot as pests.

"This exemption was sought by gamekeepers who argued that their profession - and the future of the UK's valuable shooting industry - would become untenable unless they were allowed to use dogs to help control fox numbers. Similar exemption has seen some hunts in Scotland attempt to continue despite the ban north of the border.

"A maximum of two dogs may be used for flushing out - far fewer than used by a typical hunt - and the fox or other animal must be shot "as soon as possible" after breaking cover, to limit the length of any chase to the minimum.

A maximum of one dog may be used to flush out prey from underground.

"Dogs may also be used to retrieve a hare that has been shot and to flush out a wild mammal for hunting by a falcon or other bird of prey."

[ 24. September 2004, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Colin Brett:

All I can tell you is I watched him [on tv]enter the building where the meeting was being held. No eggs, car stomping or anything else that the cameras were much more likely to centre on.

Colin.

To quote yesterday's Western Morning News:

"The fury of hunt supporters finally caught up with Rural Affairs Minister Alun Michael as he left a Westcountry conference last night.

After managing for several days to avoid protesters angry at the Govenment's bid to ban hunting, Mr Michael was in Exeter to address the Association of National Park Authorities' annual conference, where he met a delegation from the Countryside Alliance.

"As he left the conference hotel, his ministerial car was pelted with eggs by members of a 400-strong crowd of protesters gathered across the road. A handful of protesters then threw themselves in front of the Minister's car, while dozens of others broke through police lines and barricades.

"Police officers quickly surrounded the vehicle and dragged people from it, but at least one protester appeared to be hurt in the melee.

After about 20 seconds, the car, accompanied by a police vehicle, raced off down the street. Five people were arrested.

"Alison Hawes, the Countryside Alliance's South West regional director, said while she didn't condone the actions of a minority of protesters, she "understood" why it had happened.

"Mrs Hawes said: "They were very angry and frustrated that yet again he has failed to heed their concerns, saying that the future of the hunting Bill now rests with the House of Commons."

She added: "We should remember, however, this had been a peaceful and well-behaved four-hour protest. I think that speaks volumes, and should indicate to the Government that the issue isn't going to just fade away.

"Mr Michael has cancelled recent appointments because he was aware he would be greeted by scenes such as these, and today was an indication of what he can expect in the future."

Earlier, Mr Michael refused to rule out a compromise on legislation to ban hunting. He said Prime Minister Tony Blair had sought from the beginning to find a compromise on the issue. "It has been very difficult to find middle ground or grounds for a compromise because people's views are so strong on either side of the argument." But asked whether he was ruling out a deal, the Minister replied: "I am not ruling anything out."

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'